Editors' Note

Scene: Production night for The Mirror. Hanover sleeps.

Charlie snatches the computer from Maddie’s lap.

“We have to be efficient,” he yelps. “We are setting a timer for 20 minutes.”

For somebody on a perpetual power-trip, Charlie has outdone himself with his propensity to bark commands at his fellow editor — whose name remains above his on the masthead.

What’s fueling his mania (besides the usual neuroses and obsessions)?

Oh, reader: Pray for humanity. Somebody lied at Charlie and described him as well-dressed, and as a result, the man’s ego — already blimp-like in size — has been growing by the minute.

What’s well-dressed about a guy who has been wearing schlumpy jeans in 80-degree weather?

When Charlie implored Maddie to describe his style, she responded, “Well, you’ve got your outfit on.”

This, from the woman who had previously told him, “Charlie, you’re really good at hating things.”

While Charlie was preening over his image, winking at himself in the mirror (haha!) and checking out his flabby dadbod (“Dadbod is in!” he smiles at himself), Maddie seized the opportunity to sneak in a feature on Taylor Swift.

While the dopey egoists are away, the mice will play.

Charlie might be woefully underqualified to come within a mile of the Style Issue, but thankfully, Maddie — who changes outfits approximately 20 times each day — was able to direct the magazine away from five articles about hipster socks and architecture.

Enjoy!