College names six house professors to lead residential clusters

Ryan Calsbeek, Ryan Hickox, Jane Hill, Kathryn Lively, Craig Sutton and Dennis Washburn will be the first six house professors in the College's new residential cluster system, the College announced this morning.

Provost Dever asked faculty to apply for the house professor positions,outlined as partofthe "Moving Dartmouth Forward" policy, earlier this spring.

Dever received more than 20applications, anumber that both interim Dean of the College Inge-Lise Ameer and director of residential education Michael Wooten said they found exciting yetunsurprising.

Ameer and Wooten organized a committee involving members of the committee on student life, the committee on policy and the dean of the faculty. This group proposed a list of finalists to the Provost, who made the final decision onwhich finalists would be the six house professors.

The appointment of the house professors ofthe residentialcommunities is the beginning of what Ameer called a 20-25 year project to restructurehousing at the College.

Ameer said each house professor will serve as the “intellectual leader of the house.” One of the major responsibilities of the house professors when they begin their posts in Julywill be to help define and plan the direction of the development of the house communities, Ameer said.

The professors will serve a four-year term beginning on July 1, 2015, and they will move into a residence near their respective clusters nextsummer.

Wooten was optimistic about the future success of the communities that these professors will help implement and oversee.

“How we live together affects how we think together,” he said.

Calsbeek is a biology professor who has been at the College since 2006. Hickox is a physics and astronomy professor who has been at the College since 2011. Hill, a Thayer School of engineering professor, has been at Dartmouth since 2013. Lively, a sociology professor, has been at the College since 2002. Sutton, a math professor, has been at the College since 2005. Washburn, who has been at the College since 1992, teaches in the Asian and Middle Eastern studies program, the comparative literature department and the film and media studies department.

Correction appended (May 5, 2015):

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Sutton has been at the College since 2007. Sutton has been at the College since 2005.