Alpha Delta fraternity derecognized as a student organization

The College has derecognized Alpha Delta fraternity as a student organization, effective April 20, College spokesperson Diana Lawrence wrote in an email. The decision was related to the branding of new members last fall, when the fraternity was already under suspension.

Allegations of branding were first reported in national news sites in late March, prompting the College confirm its extension of the fraternity's suspension, which was due to expire this term. College spokesperson Justin Anderson highlighted a three-year history of disciplinary violations – including hazing, serving alcohol to minors and hosting unregistered parties – along with the announcement of the extension, while AD attorney George Ostler labeled the branding "self-expression" and denied that it constituted hazing. The fraternity's suspension began last September in relation to incidents during the winter and spring of 2014.

The Dartmouth Organizational Adjudication Committee determined AD to be in violation of the College's code of conduct. AD was notified of the derecognition today and has until next Monday to appeal, Lawrence wrote. AD fraternity advisor John Engelman said that the fraternity will be appealing the decision.

Interim Dean of the College Inge-Lise Ameer – acting under authority given to the Dean of the College by Greek Letter Organizations and Societies policy – is independently reviewing the same evidence from the OAC hearing to determine if it is "in the best interest of the Dartmouth College community" to derecognize the fraternity, independent of the outcome of any OAC appeal process, Lawrence wrote.

Privileges of GLOS-recognized organizations include the ability to receive College-approved residential status and the ability to accommodate students in compliance with town ordinances, host and register social events with alcohol, recruit other students, request funding from College sources and organize with other Greek organizations to address issues of common interest or organize inter-organizational events, according to the GLOS handbook. Derecognition implies a loss of these privileges, among others.

AD president Ryan Maguire '16 wrote in an email that the fraternity is "disappointed" by the decision and is exploring other available options, including the appeal process.

AD attorney George Ostler '77 declined to comment at this time.

In the past two decades, several fraternities have been derecognized that were later reinstated. Beta Theta Pi fraternity, now Beta Alpha Omega fraternity, and Zeta Psi fraternity were derecognized in 1996 and 2001, respectively. Though deemed permanent derecognitions at the time, both fraternities ultimately returned to campus – Beta as a local chapter in 2008 and Zete in 2011 after a two-year re-recognition process.

Phi Delta Alpha fraternity was indefinitely derecognized in 2000 but was re-recognized in 2004. Chi Heorot fraternity successfully appealed its derecognition by the College in 2001, and was instead subject to three terms of social probation.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.