Lee: Try Teach For America

On Feb. 11, The Dartmouth published “Reforming Teach For America,” a column by Ziqin Yuan ’18 critiquing Teach For America. It caught my attention, both as a College alumnus and a member of the Teach for America corps.

As a first-generation college student, I have always had a deep understanding of education’s power. It wasn’t until I started volunteering with the Tucker Foundation, however, that I began to understand the systemic nature of the injustice in our public schools. By my senior year, I knew I wanted to work to address this inequality — so I joined Teach for America and now teach fifth grade math in Houston. The experience has given me the clarity to realize that the experience of low-income students must be at the heart of every new education policy, program or initiative.

Last month’s column offers a familiar set of criticisms of the program that has cemented my commitment to the fight for educational equity for the long haul. While there is undoubtedly room for improvement within Teach for America, I firmly believe that it is a step in the right direction.

Yuan’s column cites Teach for America’s biggest issue as “the lack of training its teachers receive.” I agree that, as a country, we have to get better at preparing teachers — particularly those in our highest-need classrooms. Unfortunately, this challenge isn’t unique to Teach for America. Many first-year teachers — whether prepared by Teach for America or a more traditional program — would likely agree that the first day is overwhelming. Teach For America is designed to get people ready fast — talented individuals who might not otherwise have ever considered the classroom who then go on to do incredible things in it.

This is even more important than ever. As NPR reported on March 3, enrollment in teacher preparation programs across the nation is down. With many principals scrambling to find the talent they need, we must be sure to have a diverse set of pathways to the classroom. Otherwise, we risk losing more potential teachers than we can afford.

I agree wholeheartedly that strengthening training is critical. Teach for America constantly reflects on how to make its intensive training and unique ongoing support model as effective as possible, including experimenting with a lengthened approach. This year, Teach for America introduced a new pilot that gives students a full year of pre-service training during their senior year. The program will now watch the data closely to see if those participants produce better outcomes for the kids they teach and will expand accordingly.

Focusing on student outcomes is critical. Just this week, a study required in part by the U.S. Department of Education found that students taught by corps members performed as well as, and in some cases better than, those in the comparison group — students taught by teachers with an average of 13.6 years of experience. Dismissing this kind of impact does a tremendous disservice to both the students and the corps-trained educators.

Teaching is a challenging and exhausting profession, and I have been fortunate to lean on my Teach for America community. We may not have the coursework or the years of experience that our veteran peers have, but we do not pretend to. I’m grateful to have a support system of fellow teachers who are willing to spend hours discussing how to teach a standard, to reengage a student or to find balance in this immensely difficult — yet rewarding — career.

I urge anyone applying to Teach for America to ask hard questions: “What will my development look like? How will I be supported? How do you ensure that I am constantly improving?” I encourage them to talk to current corps members about transitioning to a new city and a new profession. I challenge them to reflect critically on whether they’re ready to fail, get back up and try again.

Teach for America isn’t perfect. Alongside committed advocates from many backgrounds, however, it’s tackling a problem that has been plaguing this country for far too long. I’m proud to be a part of this and admire each and every senior who’ll be stepping up to do the same after graduation day — whether through Teach for America or the many other avenues to get off the sidelines and into the game. Together, we can work toward the future all students deserve.