Editor’s Note

My first week at Dartmouth I climbed into a washing machine, my best friend from high school was picked up by Safety and Security, a kid pooped in my hall’s shower and I was sexiled for 24 hours. Thus began orientation, some of the craziest, strangest and most fun days of my life thus far. Welcome to the fray, Class of 2018.

My name is Erin Landau, and I edit the Mirror, The Dartmouth’s weekly cultural insert featuring stories ranging from serious critiques of campus issues to hilarious satires of college clichés. This particular issue features a little bit of both. Reflections from a senior staff member, helpful class tips and a Trips photo essay. I hope you’ll find these pieces somewhat useful as you navigate your new home for the first time.

As a doe-eyed freshman, it’s easy to feel lost, confused and overwhelmed by the sheer number of things you’re supposed to do in those precious days leading up to your first college course.

My advice is to remain as calm as possible. Try to make it to a few events, but don’t beat yourself up if you miss a department open house for a KAF run with your floor mates. Take the time to go outside. You’ll savor those moments while pulling an all-nighter in Baker-Berry and when leaving your room in below-freezing weather doesn’t seem possible. Most importantly, soak it all in — you’ll never experience this much freedom, anticipation, anxiety and excitement ever again.