Stuff it in the Suitcase

As September draws closer and your parents continue to berate you about packing for college, you’re going to be faced with an important realization. Your entire life and everything you own won’t fit snugly into a large suitcase and single carry-on bag. Moving to Dartmouth will require you to consider what is going to transfer to a new school with a new dress code and what you might have to leave behind. The capri army pants you wore on your first date in seventh grade may not be the hottest item in Hanover, but if they still fit, consider them for your flair drawer. To make the transition to Dartmouth a little easier, let’s start with a crucial question — what do we really wear at Dartmouth?

Before you run to your nearest J. Crew to replace your entire wardrobe, I’ll preface this article with one piece of advice --— wear whatever you want. Dartmouth isn’t high school, and honestly, no one is going to care too much about what you wear. You’re in college now, and there’s no principal telling you that your skirt is too long or a boss saying your wardrobe doesn’t look professional. The most important thing to remember is to just do you.

Still, there are some clothing items you’re going to see almost everywhere on campus. Consider putting them in your wardrobe if you’re searching for some new, useful additions.

Bean Boots: If you’ve taken a campus tour at some point, you’ve probably noticed that Hanover is snowy, wet or muddy pretty much year round. I’ve managed to survive two years with a solid pair of rubber rain boots, but most Dartmouth students swear by the indestructible nature of these questionably fashionable boots. Think of them as snow tires for your feet.

Heavy coat: Those of you who hail from the Northern U.S. probably understand what it means to survive a New England winter, but if Dartmouth will be your first trek up north, you may be in for a surprise. As a proud Florida native, I can assure you that whatever you consider to be “heavy” is nowhere near heavy enough. Hanover is known for subzero temperatures that can cut through even the warmest of winter coats. If the words puffy, parka or marshmallow don’t describe the coat you’re planning on bringing it’s time to reevaluate.

Sundress: While the depths of winter may seem to last forever, there comes a day every spring where the sun shines enough for you to shed the winter layers and go barelegged. On that day, bust out the sundress to both celebrate and plead with the weather gods that they keep the cold from coming back. While this day rarely occurs before May, students eager for sunnier days have been known to embrace the sundress as early as March.

Salmon-colored shorts: Basically the male equivalent of sundress day, these bright, eye-catching shorts are a campus fashion staple as soon as the sun begins to shine and the temperature begins to rise. The donning of salmon shorts is often accompanied by shouts of, “Sky’s out, thighs out,” a reference to their famously short hemlines.

Fracket: This coat, a must-have for any Dartmouth student, has two vital characteristics - — it’s warm enough to walk outside in and it’s cheap enough to be disposable. It’s essentially a Dartmouth right of passage to lose a fracket several times throughout your four years, so it’s important to never buy one you would be devestated to part with. You do not want to be that kid posting in the Facebook group to see if anyone has found your several hundred dollar jacket.

Frat shoes: Similarly, you’ll want a pair of shoes that are cheap, comfortable and relatively indestructible. They should cover your feet enough to protect you from whatever unknown slime coats the floors of fraternity basements. I recommend a darker color to hide any possible stains you may acquire during your night out.

Class jersey: A simple, cotton, long-sleeved shirt be sold at the Dartmouth Co-op in the weeks leading up to Homecoming. Freshman purchase jerseys with their class year on them and wear them while running around the Homecoming bonfire. If you purchase only one item of Dartmouth apparel, make it this one.

Flair: When I read this part of my freshman issue, I thought the writers were messing with me. I swear to you right now, I am not. Flair is the name Dartmouth students have created to describe the eccentric, costume-like pieces of clothing that we sometimes work into our outfits. If you have something a little bit weird buried in your closet, bring it. Examples include, but are not limited to, fully bedazzled halter tops, Easter bunny sweaters, Teletubby suits, ’80s prom dresses and tutus. These are the items you own because you think they’re really cool, but would never feel comfortable wearing them in public. Here, we encourage you to wear them in public.

Again, before you commit this list to memory and demand an extreme makeover before the fall, remember that no one at Dartmouth is going to care if you wear something different. So don’t wear anything you aren’t in love with, and don’t try to dress a certain way just because everyone else is doing it. Let this list be a guide to help alleviate some of the anxiety of tucking your whole life into a few suitcases.