Editor's Note

Let's talk about Dartmouth culture.
Let's talk about Dartmouth culture.

As each sunny summer day slips idly by, you’re probably watching your friends pack their bags and bid their loved ones farewell. You anxiously pour over College Confidential forums and creep through the Facebook group to quell your own excitement about the day when you will arrive in Hanover and begin your own college adventure.

We remember stepping off the Dartmouth Coach for the first time, armed with nothing but some vintage luggage and well-worn copies of the “required” summer reading. We too thought that after endless hours prowling the Internet, we had this whole college thing covered. Before you stroll onto the Green thinking you’ve got Dartmouth all figured out, though, let us give you some helpful information.

With this issue of The Mirror, we hope to help ease the transition from high school to college, stop you from making rookie mistakes and, frankly, help you fit in. Before you pull out your highlighter and flashcards, though, remember this — aside from the lingo and knowledge of how to dress for the winter, everything in here is just a suggestion. Imagine you’re grabbing coffee with us and we’re lovingly rambling all of these things off to you as we insert anecdotes about our misadventures from freshman year. Take it all in, but don’t imagine we’re the experts on how to make your college experience great. The awesome thing about Dartmouth is that not fitting in is okay, too. We came to college thinking woolen cloaks were cool and bedtime was 10 p.m. Now we realize shawls are cooler and bedtime is 11 p.m. Oh, how we’ve grown!