Whitacre: We Are With You

It seems like only yesterday that the great Class of 1964 lined up in caps and gowns to march in our graduation parade. We felt the support of the audience as if all were with us as we became alumni. The ’14s were there — the Class of 1914, that is. Each member of my class received a book from the ’14s entitled “The College on the Hill: A Dartmouth Chronicle” by Ralph Nading Hill ’39. Many members of our class still have that book on their shelves today. And now here we are, celebrating our 50th year of graduating, marching with the ’14s – the 2014s — young men and women with their future so much longer than their past.

For me, graduation was a big step on the way to the next part of life. As a young man, I was anxious to get going and claim my life. I had the good fortune to go immediately to business school, although the Vietnam War beckoned. Over 150 members of my class — out of 647 graduating that day — were involved in the Army. Some moved on to higher learning soon after graduation, and others were delayed. The class became very educated. A survey by Ron Schram ’64, president of our class, indicates that 87 percent have a post graduate degree.

I wanted to be an educated individual, one who would know about the sciences, humanities, the arts and learn from others. Dartmouth required and allowed me to take courses in the different disciplines. I still remember many of these courses, be it comparative literature with Herb West, psychology with Chauncey Allen, art appreciation, history with Al Foley or creative writing. I valued and appreciated the liberal arts. Dartmouth was a “go” card for graduate school and getting the first job.

Dartmouth as my college — and 1964 as my class — helped define me. I always looked forward to meeting other alumni, and my door and their doors were always open. Whenever I was involved in the hiring process, I was excited to see applications from Dartmouth graduates because I knew they would be excellent. The network was strong, welcoming and supportive.

My wife and I moved to Hanover from New York in our retirement and sent our daughter to the College in the Class of 1994. The sense of place that is Dartmouth is very attractive. As the song “Dartmouth Undying” says, who can forget her “sharp and misty mornings.”The campus is exciting and being around the students is always a pleasure. My wife and I have enjoyed following winning athletic teams, taking in student productions at the Hop, going to lectures, hearing the questions posed by students and feeling the pace of life in Hanover ebb and flow with students in and out of session.

Over the past four years, I have led the Class Connections program, which brings together the class of 2014 and my class. I have met many of the ’14s, and it has been a real pleasure to connect with these young and very bright people who are excited about their next steps. My class has interviewed the ’14s as freshmen and as seniors, and they have written essays, compiled in a book called “Dartmouth Experiences: Class of 2014.” The vast majority of the 100-plus students interviewed appreciate the rural beauty of the College, the quality and devotion of the professors and the great and lifelong friends.

The connections program spent special time on giving back and the role of leadership as a key to making a difference. In fact, 34 seniors submitted essays to a book published by our class which celebrated ways to volunteer. And at a leadership panel we held with Leslie Bradford ’77, 85 ’14s choose to attend. We hope moments like this have had a favorable impact, and we look forward to continuing our connections after graduation.

To this year’s graduating class, the Class of 1964 is giving a special book entitled “Moosilauke: Portrait of a Mountain” by College photographer Eli Burakian ’00. As Schram says in the cover note, “The book will evoke memories of your introduction to Dartmouth during your pre-matriculation Outing Club trip, one of the highlights of our Dartmouth experience and I am sure yours as well. I hope you will keep this gift on your bookshelf for 50 years and that over the years it will generate equally wonderful memories of your Dartmouth experience.”

As we march in to Commencement on June 8, the ’64s will sit behind the seniors, and our hands will be on your shoulders as you become alumni. We are with you.

Congratulations to the Class of 2014.

Huntley Whitacre '64 is the alumni representative of the Class of 1964 to the Class Connections program.