Soul, funk and folk artist Redbone plays at Hop

Blending soul, funk and folk, Martha Redbone will perform with a four-person band of roots-acoustic players Thursday evening in the Hopkins Center’s Spaulding Auditorium.

Redbone recently released a new album, “The Garden of Love — Songs of William Blake,” for which she puts 12 poems by the British Romantic poet to music. The album was produced by Grammy award winner John McEuen and has received positive reviews in The New Yorker, Village Voice and Smoky Mountain News.

Redbone previously released two other albums, “Home of the Brave” and “Skintalk.”

In her latest album, Redbone, raised in Brooklyn and Kentucky, infuses Blake’s poetry with her own Appalachian background, creating a unique sound, she said. Blake’s poem “A Poison Tree,” for example, reminds her of home, she said.

Redbone described Blake’s poems as “pure inspiration.” She said she loves both the poet’s language and meaning in his work.

Through her music, Redbone said she strives to convey messages of compassion and peace. She considers her songs like children, she said.

“Each one has a message and a particular music,” Redbone said. “Each one reminds me of something.”

In her show at the Hop, Redbone’s band will include Aaron Whitby, Redbone’s husband and collaborator, on piano and background vocal, Alan Burroughs on dobro and background vocal, Fred Cash on bass and Teddy Kumpel on guitar, banjo and background vocal.

While on campus from Tuesday to Thursday, Redbone will visit classes in the African and African-American studies, Native American studies and religion departments. She will also participate in a post-performance discussion.

“It is a real treat to me to have that much time to stay in one place,” Redbone said. “We usually leave the city next day, so you never get a chance to soak it in. It is exciting to be able to meet people and build a connection and share our music.”

Jared Boyce ’16, who plans to attend Redbone’s concert, said he is drawn to her style, a “mixture of country and jazz themes.” He also praised her harmonizing abilities.

Marco Barragan ’16 said he also planned to attend Redbone’s concert.

“The soulful manner in which Martha Redbone sings and the joyous melodies of her music make a perfect combination,” he said.