Alumni return to campus for winter celebrations, alumni events

2.7.14.carnival.blunt
2.7.14.carnival.blunt

Whether making the pilgrimage back to Hanover to see campus in full winter swing or to participate in College-sponsored alumni events, alumni flock to the College for Carnival weekend each year. Dartmouth Club of the Upper Valley president Dimitri Gerakaris ’69 sees the weekend as a celebration for the whole community.

“Homecoming is a big weekend for alums, Green Key is a big weekend for students and Winter Carnival is a big weekend for everyone — students and alums alike,” he said.

Assistant director of the young alumni student program Derrick Smith ’07 said the Office of Alumni Relations plans its annual weekend conference for club and affiliated group officers to coincide with Winter Carnival festivities.

Many alumni representing regional, career and other Dartmouth-affiliated groups will come to Hanover during Winter Carnival to participate in the conference.

This meet up allows alumni clubs to learn from each other and is a way for Alumni Relations to assist in volunteer management, Smith said.

Winter Carnival is one of the largest leadership gatherings of alumni organizations, Alumni Association president John Daukas ’84 said. The presidents of each alumni club attend this event, though usually other leaders from the clubs come as well.

The Hill Winds Society will run a trivia competition open to all students and alumni on Feb. 7 at the Hanover Inn, Smith said.

While at the College for official events, alumni also enjoy the Carnival festivities, which include watching the ski racing and attending parties.

Alumni remember the numerous snow and ice sculptures along with the exciting ski races of Winter Carnival from their time as students, Gerakaris said.

The ski jump used to take place at the golf course, which was closer than the ski races and consequently better attended by students, administrators and alumni, he said. He added that the ski jump used to determine which school won Winter Carnival and that he regrets it no longer takes place.

Class of 1977 president Nancy Vespoli ’77 said the ice sculpture competition, which her class will sponsor this year, attracts many alumni during Winter Carnival.

“Back in my day, every dorm and building built a sculpture,” Vespoli said. “I came back with my daughter to show her this great tradition of the snow sculptures, but there were none, so that is part of the inspiration behind this event.”

The Class of 1977 hopes to encourage student participation in the contest by offering prize money for the best sculptures, Vespolie said.

Alumni Council president-elect Lou Spelios ’95 said that in addition to participating in club officers gatherings, alumni return to Dartmouth to enjoy Winter Carnival festivities like skiing and playing ice hockey.

“Many young alumni that were skiers or outdoorsy come up for Winter Carnival,” Smith said. “Winter Carnival is the most outdoorsy of the big weekends, so that attracts alumni.”

Lexi Kellison ’13 said she is returning to campus for Winter Carnival mainly to see fellow members of the Class of 2013 whom she has not seen since graduation. She said she also enjoys seeing the College covered in snow during Winter Carnival.

Alumni Relations web content editor Steven Smith said that his office advertises Winter Carnival through social media. Smith manages the alumni Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.

This year, much of the social media publicity has centered around Dartmouth students and alumni who will compete in the Winter Olympics, rather than Winter Carnival. Last week, however, Steven Smith said he posted a picture of students laying groundwork for the sculpture at twilight with the lights of Baker Library in the background. Dartmouth Alumni also maintains a Pinterest page, with a Winter Carnival board pinning numerous photos of snow sculptures and past Carnival posters.

Last year, Steven Smith posted a Facebook album of old snow sculptures that received numerous likes, and CNN anchor Jake Tapper ’91 retweeted a picture of one of the snow sculptures to his followers.

Alumni page visitors often “like” or share photos to their online circles.

“It’s always very exciting to see alumni respond enthusiastically to Winter Carnival,” Steven Smith said. “Winter Carnival is something that all alumni remember, and it’s a point of shared pride.”