Winter Survival Guide

SONGS TO WAKE UP TO:

“Work B**ch” by Britney Spears — If ever there were a modern-day prophet walking among us, it is undoubtedly Britney Spears. This personal anthem is perfect for getting yourself up and out of bed, and you’ll be ready to take on whatever the day may bring. You want a hot body, you want a Maserati? You better work. You want above the median in your history seminar, you want to grab the attention of the cutie you saw at FoCo last night? You better work.

“Suenos Dulces” by Thunderheist — A modern twist on the classic “Sweet Dreams” by the Eurythmics, this new mix features hip-hop verses over an infectious electronic beat. The song sounds like the artists just stepped out of a time machine, and this was the song they were bumpin’ when they landed here in 2014. It’s literally impossible to just lie in bed while this song is playing, plus the jam is also perfect for preparing to go out on the town. When your friends see you bopping your head and murmuring in the corner, it won’t be weird — they’ve been singing “Suenos Dulces” to themselves all day, too.

“Pumpin Blood” by NONONO — It’s all in the title. This is the song you need to get the blood pumping and force you out of your blanket cocoon. With a catchy beat, cute, whistling hipsters and lyrics that are just hoarse enough to keep you from really understanding them, “Pumpin Blood” forces you to get started. Bonus: it’s perfect for driving in a blizzard and pretending you’re in a spaceship.

“***Flawless” by Beyonce — Again, everything about this song is right there in the title. If you haven’t heard this song yet, I recommend you take a seat before you press play. If you make this song your alarm tone, get ready to greet the day by telling everyone you “woke up like this.” Someone compliments your hair? You woke up like this. See your crush in Baker lobby? Tell them you woke up like this. I also recommend listening to this song as you walk to class and mentally tell every person you pass to “bow down.” Guaranteed to make you feel like royalty for the rest of the day, this song will put an absolute stop to any obstacle in your path.

WINTERFASHION MUST-HAVES:

Texting Gloves — The severe weather may be enough to halt Dartmouth’s electricity and most on-campus facilities, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to stop your Twitter feed or your mom texting you about some bizarre winter storm on the news. When you’re outside in every piece of clothing you can put on, aside from a ski mask, these gloves will make sure the precious inches of skin on the tips of your fingers are still protected. Gone are the days of rushing indoors to send a blitz or getting frostbite while calling EBAs at 2:10 a.m.

(Not Bean) Boots — Let’s be real. Bean Boots are the black North Face fracket of footwear. There’s a severe lack of individuality that comes with them, and there’s probably something out there that does their job just as well, if not better. Please reach out of your comfort zones — venture outside of Bella and Indigo to purchase a quality shoe.

Color — It’s easy to feel great in your black boots, black jeans, black sweater and black coat. But sometimes you have to look good to feel good, and the best way to do this is by adding a splash of color. Try a funky scarf or exuberant socks or pretty much any little piece of color to make sure you stand out in the crowd.

Attitude — While not technically a clothing item, your attitude is by far the most important thing you’re going to walk out of your room with in the morning. Whether you’re wearing boots with tights or sweatpants with a matching sweatshirt, just know that you look amazing in it. You shouldn’t just walk on campus, you should strut. If people aren’t going to think you look good, you have to make them.

DRINKS TO KEEP YOU WARM:

Black Coffee — A simple yet effective option for our no-nonsense readers. If you prefer a drink that gets the job done without looking like a Pinterest project, stick to the basics. Warms you up, wakes you up, no hassle, no frills.

Mexican Hot Chocolate — Not your average watered-down Nestle mix. Thicker, more chocolatey and often made with cinnamon or vanilla, there really isn’t a better option when you crave a little hot cocoa. Serve this with churros on the side (preferably ones you make yourself, not ones stolen from FoCo), and your winter night is complete.

Winter Lemonade — If looking out your window at the gray mounds of slush on the street leaves you longing for summer, this drink may be just what you need. It’s a warmer spin on traditional lemonade with hints of honey and cinnamon, making this drink the perfect way to stay cozy in your room while dreaming of being somewhere much warmer.

Butterbeer — This real-life Harry Potter favorite is simple to make and gives you a magical feeling. Butterbeer is a butterscotch treat great for any theme party or for making you feel like a kid again. Our more adventurous Mirror readers may find that this recipe lends itself to adding a little of their own magic too (if they want the drink live up to its name *wink*).

MOVIES TO CUDDLE UP TO:

“Fargo” (1996) — The harsh North Dakota winter depicted in this Coen brothers’ movie is eerily similar to New Hampshire weather, and the 10-foot snow banks on either side of the roads made me flash back to the darkest moments of 13W. The story follows a pregnant police detective solving a murder (classic), and what it lacks in kind or friendly material it makes up for in accents. It will have you responding to your friends with “Oh yah?” for at least a week.

“Clueless” (1995) — Can you imagine an ultimate movie list that doesn’t include this timeless classic? Ugh, as if! This movie is a time capsule that will transport you back to being a 17-year-old rich kid living in The Valley (those were the days, am I right?) This movie is also begging to be turned into a game, perhaps involving some sort of “fun activity” every time a character says “Whatever!”

“Barbarella” (1968) — If held at gunpoint and asked to describe this film in a single word, I’d probably have to make peace with God. In several words: beautiful, cheesy, over the top, unbelievable and perhaps the greatest film I’ve ever seen. Nearly 50 years old, it’s a futuristic, space-age tale of an over-sexualized heroine who has to save the Earth. You know, the usual. “Barbarella” also comes complete with less-than-believable special effects and oversized ray guns. If you aren’t already dying to see this film, then I don’t have anything else to say to you.

“Harold and Maude” (1971) — A romantic cult classic that starts with two people who meet at a stranger’s funeral. From there, they fall in love, steal a police motorcycle, relocate a tree they think needs to be saved and engage in a handful of other shenanigans. A far cry from being a cookie-cutter romantic comedy, “Harold and Maude” is a story that will truly make you believe that love can transcend every obstacle life throws at it. Oh, and did I mention it’s about love between an old woman and a young man? I didn’t? Oh. It’s not creepy, I swear.