Human Resources VP McCoo to depart College

Vice president for human resources Myron McCoo will step down from his role on Nov. 30, and former executive director Lynda Baker will serve as acting vice president during the search for a permanent replacement.

Baker, who begins her interim role on Monday, served as the College’s acting vice president and chief human resources officer between 2010 and 2011 and later as executive director before retiring in July 2012.

McCoo, who began working at the College in August 2011, oversaw the College’s switch from Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield to CIGNA as the employees’ health insurance provider and changes to the faculty benefits structure.

McCoo said many of the structural changes implemented were due to economic challenges, adding that he leaves the department in a good position.

“The department was strong when I arrived,” McCoo said. “I can only hope that it is as strong a department as I’m leaving now.”

McCoo said he has enjoyed working with colleagues.

“What I can say that I’m proudest of is working with such wonderful colleagues,” he said. “I’ve never worked as closely with such wonderful people in my career.”

Human Resources consultant Tye Deines said that he was disappointed when heard about McCoo’s departure.

“One of the reasons that I did take the job was the opportunity to work with Myron and to learn from him,” Deines said.

McCoo worked hard to build strong relationships among members of the Human Resources department, Deines said.

“He tried to create a sense of collaboration,” he said. “There was just this spirit that he brought to the department.”

McCoo said he is stepping down due to the death of an immediate family member and is unsure if he will return to the College.

He said he will miss Hanover’s outdoor activities.

“I will miss the scenery,” McCoo said. “It’s a very scenic, bucolic area. The natural beauty here is amazing.”

Before he joined the College, McCoo worked as the interim vice president of human resources at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and the senior labor and employee relations consultant at the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics.