Football beats Brown, but does not get help to stay alive for title

11.18.13.sports.football
11.18.13.sports.football

The football team triumphed in a thriller over Brown University 24-20 Saturday, earning its first road win since the season opener, after Brown senior Patrick Donnelly’s fourth-down pass fell incomplete with 1:25 left in the game. Dartmouth (5-4, 2-4 Ivy) improved to 56-31-4 in the all-time series.

Saturday was the final home game for Brown’s (5-4, 2-4 Ivy) senior class, as well as the final away game for Dartmouth’s seniors.

Despite the win, Dartmouth was eliminated from earning a share of the Ivy League championship after Princeton University defeated Yale University 59-23 and Harvard University held off the University of Pennsylvania 38-30. The best Dartmouth can now hope for is a second-place finish. To do so, Dartmouth must defeat Princeton (8-1, 6-0 Ivy) in next week’s season finale and Harvard (8-1, 5-1 Ivy) must lose to Yale.

“We were definitely conscious of the games,” co-captain free safety Garrett Waggoner ’13 said. “But we were too focused on the task at hand in the Brown game to be following the Princeton-Yale game.”

Dartmouth can also play spoiler next week, because if it defeats Princeton and Harvard wins, Harvard and Princeton will split the championship. If Dartmouth loses, Princeton will claim the title outright, whether or not Harvard wins.

On Saturday, neither team excelled at the passing game, doing just enough to keep defenses from stacking the run. Quarterback Dalyn Williams ’16 finished 12 of 18 for 135 yards and a score, while Donnelly completed 23 of 34 for two touchdowns.

“They’re a really balanced team,” Waggoner said. “He’s a phenomenal QB, but they also have an explosive running back and some playmakers at wideout. They’re one of the more balanced teams we’ve played all season, so we had to be technically sound.”

Brown senior Adewole Oyalowo harassed Williams most of the afternoon, bringing him down for two of Brown’s three sacks. Brown senior Zachary Latrell helped contain Williams’ scrambling ability, leading the defense with 10 tackles.

Instead, both teams did most of their work on the ground.

Running back Dominick Pierre ’14 battled nagging injuries all afternoon but still ran for 94 yards and a score. Pierre’s touchdown gives him at least a rushing touchdown in every game this season.

Running back Kyle Bramble ’16 provided excellent relief, running 82 yards on the afternoon, including a 70-yard touchdown burst. Williams had one of his worst performances on the ground, finishing with just six yards.

The last time a Dartmouth player ran for at least 70 yards on one carry was 1990, when Shon Page ’90 broke free for 79 yards.

Dartmouth’s defense prevented Brown’s senior John Spooney from ripping off his sixth run over 70 yards, holding him to a long of 19. However, Spooney still ground out 166 yards on 27 carries, good for a 6.1 average. He finished the afternoon with over 200 all-purpose yards after acquiring another 41 yards on three catches.

Linebacker Michael Runger ’14 led Dartmouth’s defensive effort with 14 tackles, while linebacker Folarin Orimolade ’17 registered Dartmouth’s lone sack on a 25-yard intentional grounding.

After a scoreless first quarter, Dartmouth opened up the scoring five minutes into the second quarter with a nine-yard strike from Williams to wide receiver Robbie Anthony ’14.

Brown could have cut the lead to four but senior Alexander Norocea’s 42-yard field goal sailed wide right. Norocea’s missed field goal held major implications for Brown’s final drive. Three plays after the miss, Bramble broke free for 70 yards for the score with just under five minutes left in the first half, increasing Dartmouth’s lead over Brown to 14-0.

Brown cut the lead to 14-7 entering halftime after capitalizing on the short field, starting with the ball at the Dartmouth 32.

Eight plays later, with 48 seconds remaining in the half, Donnelly found senior Jordan Evans for the four-yard touchdown pass on fourth down.

Opening the second half with the ball, Brown drove down the field, finishing the seven-play, 68-yard drive with a short pass from Donnelly to senior Andrew Marks, tying the game at 14. Marks caught the ball 10 yards downfield, turned and sprinted down the sideline for the game-tying score. A 30-yard Norocea field goal on Brown’s next drive gave Brown its first lead of the game midway through the third quarter, 17-14.

Pierre powered into the end zone from two yards out, putting Dartmouth back on top 21-17 eight seconds before the end of the third, finishing the eight-play, 58-yard drive.

Norocea’s 31-yard field goal closed the deficit to 21-20 with under 11 minutes in the game.

On Dartmouth’s final scoring drive, Williams found Anthony over the middle for 42 yards. Kicker Alex Gakenheimer ’17’s 21-yard field goal increased Dartmouth’s lead to 24-20 with 3:23 left, and Brown needed to score a touchdown in order to win as a field goal wouldn’t tie the score.

Gakenheimer has been a surprising relief for Dartmouth after he replaced Riley Lyons ’15 for field goal duty. Lyons converted just two of 10 during the season.

On Brown’s final drive, Donnelly connected with Marks and senior Jordan Evans for 15 yards each. Dartmouth’s defense then held Brown to five yards the next three plays. With the game hanging in the balance, and a 47-yard field goal unable to tie the game, Donnelly’s pass sailed over his receiver, allowing Dartmouth to take the ball and kneel to end the game.

“I think our defense played really well, especially being on the field so much during the game because our offense could not stay on the field,” Williams said. “With that being said, I think our offense did a great job of collectively making plays despite the injuries we have and did suffer. I also think we made plays that had to be made in crucial situations like the fourth down stop and the fourth down conversion we had; those plays separate good teams from great teams and players from warriors.”

Brown outplayed Dartmouth most of the afternoon, holding the advantage in yards, 369-313, first downs, 23-14, and time-of-possession. Instead, Dartmouth came up big at crucial moments, scoring when needed.

Next weekend, Dartmouth battles Princeton at 1:30 p.m. at home, hoping for a league upset.

“They’re an up-tempo offense and we need to have a good understanding of what they’re going to do,” Waggoner said.