Eisner: Rushing To Where?

Women's rush is due to begin this afternoon. It is a not only a grueling process that will consume the lives of many women on campus until Sunday evening or later, but also a phenomenon that exposes the Greek system's serious flaws deficiencies that damage our school's social and academic integrity. For sophomore women, rush is advertised as a "good experience," a "chance to meet new people." These women are encouraged to "keep an open mind" about the Greek system. Underneath this veneer of positivity, however, lies grim truths about how our social scene stratifies communities and fails to examine the harm it inflicts upon others. While I have never participated in rush, each year I have been increasingly appalled at the practices involved and how little we do to make it a kinder, more inclusive and introspective system.

To begin, the Panhellenic Council should make clear that there are many alternatives to affiliation, and that if one chooses not to rush, or does not get into the house she wanted, she will still be able to have a thriving social life at Dartmouth. At almost any panel set up by the Panhellenic Council to give pre-rush sophomores a diverse account of rush and affiliation, the panel includes sisters from each house and one unaffiliated woman. These panels over-represent the lives of affiliated women on campus, without offering much other perspective. For sophomore women, it becomes hard to envision life outside of sororities.

Further, "open-mindedness" is equated with rushing. Some would say that I am closed minded for not having at least given the process a shot. But I would challenge us all to think about who is being harmed by the extreme enthusiasm and to consider what communities do not even have access to our "open-minded" rush world.

Right from the beginning, race and socioeconomic class unfortunately make the rush playing field uneven for many women. Tough questions about dues, events in fraternity basements and standards of dress and living make it hard for many women to feel comfortable in the rush environment. In some cases, potential new members feel that posing these hard questions to sisters may harm their chance of being accepted to the sorority of their choice. Yet shouldn't asking these questions and seeking honest answers be the definition of open-mindedness? I know many women, both affiliated and unaffiliated, who are willing speak for themselves, and I challenge any sophomore woman about to rush to think about these questions and pose them to affiliated and unaffiliated women. By asking questions we will not only expose some of the challenges of creating an inclusive and friendly environment, but we will give voice to those who have been or will be excluded or harmed by a system that portrays itself as nothing but smiles and giggles.

Finally, pledge term demonstrations of affiliation through silly costumes and dorky accessories smear a final coating of cheer and joy over the disappointment and loneliness that many feel. What may be a non-harmful, funny form of hazing for many becomes a grim reminder of social exclusion to those who did not have the "guaranteed" positive experience they were looking for.

The current rhetoric surrounding women's rush demonstrates how we fail to step outside of our norms and critically examine our social system. Beginning at pre-rush events, the narrative of women's rush is overwhelmingly one of inclusivity, open-mindedness and encouragement to try rushing because it might be for you. Especially when all of our friends are rushing, it becomes difficult not to. But I would hope that as the '16 women begin rush this term, they think seriously about those who are having a hard time, think about how they can be good friends and think about how their participation in rush and Greek life could ultimately hurt many people around them. Ask tough questions, step outside yourself, and be open-minded in the full sense of the phrase.