Two women win Big Green contest

5.17.13.news.mr/sGK
5.17.13.news.mr/sGK

Sponsored by the Green Key Society and hosted by Janna Wandzilak '14 and Thomas Steventon '16, the contest featured 10 students from all class years. Sandi Caalim '13, Andres Ramirez '14 and Kate Shelton '14, who was named Mrs. Big Green last year, judged the contestants for spirit and enthusiasm.

"The purpose is to bring out the true spirit of Dartmouth," Ramirez said. "This is also partly a philanthropy event, as we will be trying to collect money from the audience after the show."

Prize money will be donated to a charity of the winners' choice.

The show began with a performance by the three judges, who danced to Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back."

For the competition, Dylan Calhoun '13 played several songs on his trumpet accompanied by a pianist. Deby Guzman-Buchness '15 spoke about her passion for dancing since childhood and danced to Britney Spears's "Toxic." Trivedi dubbed ASAP Rocky "one of the most influential musicians in our generation" and danced to "F****n' Problems." Walker, with the help of three friends, twerked to a mashup.

Sporting a "Total Frat Move" shirt, Kominkiewicz took on the persona of a fraternity brother as she performed a monologue, while Zhao performed an original rap, "Slap your Elbow," and urged audience members to slap their elbows with their hands as they listened.

Chase Mertz '15, Joe Chance '13, Dana Giordano '16 and Victoria Townsend '14 also participated.

After the final deliberation, the judges, to everyone's surprise, selected Kominkiewicz and Walker as the winners.

Some members of the audience, particularly friends of Zhao, expressed outrage at the result, and one individual kicked over a chair, raising commotion as he exited the room.

"I thought it was embarrassing," said Kathryn Waychoff '16, who attended the event. "It made an event which could have been fun for everyone into something where a few kids took over by sheer noise and physical numbers."

Kominkiewicz said she felt as if she were in Disneyland.

"It's been a three-year dream ever since I found out about this," she said.

She decided to perform a monologue imitating a fraternity brother because she does not have any singing or dancing talents. Kominkiewicz, a member of the track and field team, joked that her talents include discus throwing and picking up weights.

"The monologue is actually from a YouTube video," she said. "I thought it'd be fun to reenact it."

Calhoun said he participated because he has a great amount of school spirit.

"Well, it's my senior year," he said. "I have played the tuba in the marching band in every single home game, so I feel I have a lot of school spirit, and I thought that I was pretty well-qualified."

Though he was disappointed with the result, Calhoun said he thought the judges made an "excellent" choice.

Bridget End '14, who attended the event, came to show support for her friends.

"I'm not into the whole drinking culture," she said. "This shows a different, creative and fun aspect of Dartmouth."