Guarini '46 will donate $10 million to College

Former U.S. Representative Frank Guarini '46 committed $10 million to off-campus programs to expand the College's reach into underrepresented regions and enhance global learning opportunities, the College announced Monday.

Guarini's gift will endow the Frank J. Guarini Institute for International Education, which will oversee the College's off-campus programs office. The institute will manage and coordinate study abroad programs.

The donation will also fund an international and interdisciplinary studies associate dean position.

"There is no substitute for living in another country to expand one's world view and gain an appreciation for the interplay of cultures," Guarini said in a press release.

Interim College President Carol Folt said in the release that the gift will have a lasting positive impact on Dartmouth's global education, calling Guarini "a true citizen of the world whose life and career are devoted to public service and international understanding."

Dartmouth ranked second among Ivy League schools and eighth overall in undergraduate participation in study abroad programs, according to the Institute of International Education's 2010-2011 "Open Doors" report. Nearly 60 percent of Dartmouth students take part in 43 study abroad programs.

Dartmouth's first study abroad program dates back to the late 1950s.

Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Michael Mastanduno said the Frank J. Guarini Institute for International Education will better integrate off-campus academic experiences with on-campus counterparts.

"The Guarini Institute reinforces Dartmouth's goal of preparing students to thrive in an intellectually and culturally diverse world," Mastanduno said in the release.

Guarini previously endowed the College's Italian Language Study Abroad programs in Rome.

Italian professor Courtney Quaintance said existing donations funded student participation in cultural activities in the city as well as excursions outside of Rome.

"I think it's wonderful to have the opportunity to take these students outside of Rome," she said. "It's nice to expose them to places that we otherwise could not afford to take them."

Quaintance hopes that Guarini's commitment will strengthen existing programs and fund new ones.

"I think these programs abroad in general are turning points for my students," Quaintance said. "Many of them say that the programs are the highlights of their Dartmouth experiences."

Alison Falzetta '15, who participated in the Italian Language Study Abroad program in Rome last winter, said she enjoyed her experience.

During her trip, the group took a trip to Florence to visit museums and take part in cultural events. Students were reimbursed up to 12 Euros for their spending on cultural events, which helped to incentivize student participation.

While she was unsure if this funding came from Guarini, she was happy the program covered some of her expenses.

Guarini served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. After graduating from the College, Guarini attended the New York University School of Law, obtaining his J.D. in 1950 and LL.M. in 1955. He served two terms in the New Jersey State Senate and seven terms in the U.S. House of Representatives.

He has also served as a delegate to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in London and was appointed U.S. representative to the General Assembly of the United Nations by former President Bill Clinton.

Off-campus programs director John Tansey could not be reached for comment by press time.