Now Playing in Hanover: Lincoln

While Steven Spielberg's historical drama "Lincoln" (2012) hit theaters last November, the film has continued to rivet audiences with its sweeping tale of the American Civil War. Inspired by Doris Kearns Goodwin's biography of Lincoln, "Team of Rivals," "Lincoln" recounts the 16th president's remarkable efforts to pass the 13th Amendment, a heated reform that would entirely abolish slavery throughout the nation. In the film, Lincoln (Daniel Day-Lewis) struggles with his personal and political demons in the midst of this war-ridden era with the help of his wife, Mary Todd (Sally Field). Laura Sim

Directed by: Steven SpielbergWith: Day-Lewis, Field, David Strathairn150 minutesRated PG-13

"Lincoln" expertly and honestly brings to life one of America's most revered presidents. Even though the ending is obviously not a surprise, this does not make the final scenes no less exciting or poignant. Day-Lewis is fantastic as an understated, clever and mythical Lincoln, and is most certainly the favorite to win the Oscar for his role next week. Sydney Ayers

Although the plot of "Lincoln" spans the course of a mere four months, the film provides audiences with an in-depth look into the tumultuous process of emancipation as well as an intimate exploration of the final months of the president's life. Day-Lewis delivers a masterful performance as usual, and is entirely believable both as the leader tasked with reconciling his most intrinsic values and his obligation to preserve the union, and as a father and husband coping with private hardships. Caela Murphy

"Lincoln," while containing convincing portraits of the man himself and figures who characterized a pivotal time period, suffers from biting off more than it can chew in terms of the scope of the history it tries to portray. The film also falls prey to Spielberg's typically saccharine, in this case highly unlikely treatment of this monumental era, such as when Lincoln takes advice from black union soldiers. "Lincoln" ultimately plays more into popular mythology than reveals sides of the president and issues that would challenge the critical faculties of viewers. Gordon Reed

Also playing: "Brief Reunion," "Argo" and "Hyde Park on Hudson."