Now Playing: Les Miserables

Based on the beloved musical, "Les Miserables" is the story of Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman), a convict paroled after serving nineteen years in jail for stealing a loaf of bread. When he breaks his parole, he is hunted mercilessly by Inspector Javert (Russell Crowe) for the next two decades. In the meantime, Valjean keeps a promise he made to raise a child named Cosette (Amanda Seyfried), and soon finds his destiny intertwining with that of France's as a rebellion looms in the distance. Varun Bhuchar

Directed by: Tom HooperWith: Jackman, Crowe, Hathaway157 minutesRated PG-13

Unfortunately for those who have not seen the musical, "Les Miserables" definitely caters to those who have. As an aficionado of the musical myself, I thought the movie was an excellent adaptation of the musical with incredible live singing and set design that stole the entire show. However, I have to caution that the film really does feel long, but it's definitely worth seeing. Sydney Ayers

As an avid fan of musicals, I had high hopes for Tom Hooper's production of "Les Miserables." Unfortunately, it was not as breathtaking as I had expected. The film lacks the epic, awe-inspiring quality associated with this tale of escaped convicts and revolution. Even so, the talent and range exhibited by the cast is truly impressive; Hathaway as Fantine and newcomer Barks as Eponine both give stunning performances. Since the actors sang live during filming, their performances are truly emotional and worthy of a few shed tears. Aarti Kamat

"Les Miserables" is that rare adaptation that does justice to its source material while also showing that it has a few tricks up its sleeve. Masterfully directed by Hooper, "Les Miserables" is given its beautiful substance by the performance of its talented actors, especially Jackman and Hathaway. One might even question whether the musical needs another reimagining as this one makes a strong case for being the definitive version for future generations. Varun Bhuchar