Now Playing: Django Unchained

Quentin's Tarantino's "Django Unchained" is an antebellum-era "spaghetti" western with quite a bit of humor and violence, like most of the director's films. The story follows a slave named Django (Jamie Foxx) on a quest to find his sold-off wife, Broomhilda (Kerry Washington). His partner on this journey is Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz), a German bounty hunter who promises Django his freedom in exchange for help finding the Brittle brothers, a trio of murderers. The mission leads Django and Schultz to "Candyland," a plantation owned by the evil Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio). Kelsey Sipple

Directed by: Quentin TarantinoWith: Foxx, Waltz, DiCaprio, Jackson, Washington180 minutesRated R

Tarantino is at his best with "Django," which is at once serious and humorous while it tackles the difficult subjects of slavery and racism. Dr. King Schultz, a charming, quippy bounty hunter, is played fantastically by Waltz and complimented by Foxx's fearless portrayal of Django.

"Django" is sometimes uncomfortably bloody, but Tarantino's often comical dismemberment of limbs and bodies makes up for the truly gruesome bits.

The diabolical team of Calvin Candie (DiCaprio) and his dutiful slave (Jackson) is perhaps the most terrifying, as their shocking savagery reminds you that "Django" is a cartoonish depiction of truly terrible times.

There is no shortage of Tarantino's trademark long, dialogue-heavy scenes, though the quick banter that often occurs between Waltz and Foxx keeps the film from ever feeling stagnant. Kate Sullivan

Ludicrously violent, viciously vivid and charmingly unrealistic, Tarantino's "Django Unchained" is a provocative exaction of bloody revenge upon the lunacy of slavery.

Yet beneath the layer of blood, gore and dynamite are two love stories that become entwined: one between Django and Broomhilda and one between a man and his freedom.

Comicly bloody, this film borders between overloaded kitsch and extravagant brilliance. Not Tarantino's finest, but not one that should be missed either. Katie Tai

"Django Unchained" is long, gratuitously violent and full of what many would consider to be incendiary racial language, but it is also without a doubt the most fun you will have at the movies this year.

There's a reason us cinephiles love Tarantino: he's one of us. As such his script contains enough one-liners, memorable characters (particularly Waltz's Dr. Schultz), modern hip-hop selections and homages to classic films to satisfy event he most cynical moviegoer. Repeat viewings are highly recommended of what is sure to become a modern masterpiece. Varun Bhuchar