Now Playing in Hanover: Cloud Atlas

"Cloud Atlas" (2012), written and directed by Lana and Andy Wachowski and Tom Tykwer, follows multiple storylines to explore how the past, present and future intertwine to influence one another. The ensemble cast includes Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry and Jim Sturgess. Every storyline in this epic adventure has a different genre but shares common themes and ideas with the others. Those who are trapped fight for their freedom, characters with the power to positively change their world battle their inner demons and the film's artists and great thinkers struggle to keep their work and ideas from being taken away. Adapted from David Mitchell's 2004 novel of the same name, "Cloud Atlas" follows the lives of individuals throughout the centuries. Kelsey Sipple

Directed by: Tom Tykwer, Andy and Lana WachowskiWith: Hanks, Berry, Grant164 minutesRated R

"Cloud Atlas" was one of the most overly ambitious movies of the year. Although the novel successfully marries several subplots, the film adaptation completely alienates its viewers by failing to connect the various story lines. This meant that none of the characters were ever given a chance to fully develop. Anisha Mohin

While watching "Cloud Atlas," I was struck by both the wondrous and terrible feeling that they don't make movies like this anymore. Its overarching plot, jumping temporal structure, makeup work and ambition show filmmaking at its finest. Unfortunately, it is sure to alienate a good portion of its audience which all but ensures that we will never see another "Cloud Atlas" for a long, long time. Varun Bhuchar

"Cloud Atlas" accomplishes its ambitious task of uniting six very different storylines, but the meaning feels forced on the audience by blatant connections, melodramatic dialogue and overly frequent displays of violence. In the end, however, these are made up for by the compelling interaction between the film's storylines and the varied, well-executed performances of Hanks, Jim Broadbent and Ben Whishaw. Caela Murphy