Now Playing in Hanover: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Based on the 1974 British spy novel, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" examines the world of espionage during the 1970s, when Cold War tensions are running high. George Smiley, played by Gary Oldman a former top official at Britain's Secret Intelligence Service, nicknamed the "Circus" is forced out of retirement to uncover the double agent within the top ranks of the Service. The film's title is representative of the five senior intelligence officers under suspicion. During his assignment to uncover a Soviet spy within MI6, Smiley begins to realize that things may not be as they seem.
- Rohail Premjee

Directed by: Tomas AlfredsonWith: Oldman, Colin Firth, TomHardy, Benedict Cumberbatch 127 min.Rated R

Based on the novel by John le Carre and set during the Cold War, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" details George Smiley's (Oldman) attempts to uncover a high-level double agent. A gripping thriller that started off slowly, the film ultimately delivered a strong ending thanks to Oldman's brilliant acting. Anisha MohinA movie of constant suspense, the characters seem to communicate in quick glances and fragmented stories through which the viewer and the spies piece together clues. "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" provides little explanation or context, so it the film can be confusing at times, but it is so well-realized through excellent acting, directing and cinematography that it is nonetheless an interesting movie worth watching.

Sarah ScullyWhile watching the film, it appears to be a plodding, dead-end spy film. But Alfredson lures the audience in with this slow and deceptive lull. About halfway in, the film turns the dial up and becomes a suspenseful and ultimately satisfying thriller even with its gratuitous use of flashback. Cumberbatch as Peter, the loyal servant to Smiley, plays his role with a quiet ferocity and elevates himself above the average supporting actor. Varun Bhuchar