Short Answer

Friday's Verbum Ultimum issued The Dartmouth Editorial Board's call for a more diverse spectrum of campus voices to appear on the opinion page this year. What issues and perspectives have been consistently missing from The Dartmouth's columns and editorials?

Though The D's opinion page does have at least some varied political views, I do think that the paper could stand to hear from groups traditionally not represented in our columns. Having more women writers, minority writers, or writers either more radically liberal or conservative than those currently on staff could only serve to lead to more interesting arguments, greater understanding of each other, and a more accurate impression of all the diverse views we have here at Dartmouth. Jacob Batchelor '12

As with the rest of the campus, there's an obvious liberal slant to the opinion page. We need more conservatives. Roger Lott '14

Though we come from all over the world, local news and politics have a big impact on our lives in Hanover. Unfortunately, the Dartmouth bubble somehow makes the New Hampshire real world seem irrelevant to many of us. Louis Wheatley '14

I know that may people love to disagree with Roger Lott, and I often disagree with him myself, but he does hold a legitimate viewpoint that is similar to the views that many Americans hold. College students of all political stripes should seek to at least understand the views of those with whom they disagree. The D should attempt to help broaden the range of views debated on campus. Jonathan Pedde '14

World issues (or non-Dartmouth life) so much campus discourse is centered around Dartmouth issues that it's easy to forget how trite some of our complaints are (omg, DDSmakesnosense where should i pledge?!? MY LIFE SUCKS, etc.) We also need more female perspectives. Natalie Colaneri '12The Dartmouth has plenty of articles covering social life, economy and adminstration, so I hope that newer columnists would be willing to write about current academic or social trends in wider society that may have an impact on student life. Yoo Jung Kim '14

Our students represent many different backgrounds I would like to see more discussion about how cultural issues are reflected on this campus. Alesy Iturrey '14

There aren't enough columns proposing creative solutions and alternations to fundamental campus issues. The dialogue about the curriculum, the dining hall and the Greek system always runs according to the same basic talking points. There's not enough intellectual diversity, period. Peter Blair '12

The D has no shortage of people with grievances about campus culture and logistics, nor does it want for people willing to sing Dartmouth's praises. What it lacks are pragmatists, people with serious, specific ideas for making this a happier, healthier place to study without resorting to the usual demagoguery that colors campus debates. (Count me among the stumped demagogues, by the by.) Raza Rasheed '12

As Dartmouth students, we often fail to realize the extent to which poverty permeates those portions of the upper valley that lie beyond the borders of Hanover. While the economic downturn has certainly had a negative impact on student life at Dartmouth, we would do well to recognize that many New Hampshire residents are in the midst of a far greater plight only miles down the road. Keshav Poddar '14