VERBUM ULTIMUM: A Troubling Trifecta

In the last several weeks, the Dartmouth community has witnessed what appears to be an exodus of strong, minority female administrators from Parkhurst Hall. The sudden resignation of Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Students Colleen Larimore this week ("Larimore announces resignation," Feb. 16) is the third similar departure announced this term acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears announced in early January that she would not apply for the permanent dean of the College position and Samantha Ivery, assistant dean of student life, advisor to black students and acting director of the Center for Women and Gender, announced her resignation on Jan. 31.

The impending departures of these three women, who are leaders, role models and sources of support for a diverse spectrum of Dartmouth students, will leave a gaping hole in the fabric of our community. Their strong presence on campus has provided inspiration and guidance for female and minority students in particular. The placement of these women in important roles has also helped represent the interests of students of color throughout all levels of the administration.

It is impossible to overstress the importance of having women and minorities in major positions within the community. Spears, Ivery and Larimore have been highly visible and accessible resources to students seeking advisors who can understand and relate to their backgrounds. It is imperative that the College does everything in its power to fill their shoes with equally diverse and empowering administrators.

Regardless of whether all three women made their decisions on the same grounds or for entirely unrelated reasons, the similarities between their situations have left many with an anxious feeling about the direction in which the College is headed. Rightly or wrongly, these departures have widely been interpreted as a signal that something is amiss within the administration. The fact that all three women are minorities has led to speculation that the reasons for their departures may be racially driven, particularly after Ivery's remarks that she had experienced racism and sexism while working at the College. The lack of a forthcoming response or explanation from anyone in Parkhurst about the reasons behind these departures has only enforced an atmosphere of unease and confusion.

The rapid succession of these announcements should be cause for deep concern among the entire Dartmouth community. Students and staff have both a right and a responsibility to demand the proper response from the administration a concrete plan to support more female and minority administrators.