Verbum Ultimum: For the Love of the Game

Recent years have brought Dartmouth athletics some of its most painful seasons. Losses piled up for many of the high-profile sports teams, with game attendance and overall campus enthusiasm dropping to what felt like record lows. Yet each new season is cause for hope, and this year's optimism is substantiated by our teams' current records. Less than three weeks ago, athletic director Harry Sheehy assumed his new post, and his history of winning almost instantly instilled a fresh sense of optimism and confidence on the field. Many of the sports that have been lackluster in the past have begun the Fall with largely unexpected victories.

Whether one looks to the varsity football team winning its first road game in 17 tries, the women's soccer team upsetting nationally-ranked Pennylvania State University or the cross country runners jumping out to a strong start at home, Dartmouth student-athletes will not go unnoticed for much longer.

While the performances on the field are remarkable, some credit belongs to College President Jim Yong Kim and the administration's big push for athletics. Kim's pledge to prioritize Dartmouth sports by preserving all varsity teams through 2009's budget cuts and hiring a proven winner in Sheehy, who reports directly to the President already seems to be paying dividends. Several Greek organizations and the Student Assembly with funds from the administration have launched a series of tailgates before home football games in an effort to grow audiences at big sporting events. If the events can increase attendance at games and, more importantly, passion for big time athletics among the Dartmouth community, our entire school will benefit. The public recognition, student body camaraderie and school pride are rewards in themselves, but there are also more tangible benefits.

Sports occupy a key position in Dartmouth's reputation outside of Hanover. Winning sports teams bring alumni and their donations back to the College, while beating juggernauts like Yale University or Harvard University raises the College's profile among our peer institutions and helps Dartmouth's recruiting efforts.

Most people in Hanover, however, don't lose sleep over a missed field goal at Memorial Field or last-second shot at Thompson Arena. Perhaps this has been part of our problem with athletics. Athletes cannot be expected to perform to their full potential without the momentum of the community cheering them on; psychology studies have proven that trained athletes perform better in front of a crowd.

Dartmouth will likely face many sizable and difficult issues this year, but as far as athletics are concerned, we are off to a good start. To be the best college or university in the world a status Kim encourages the College to strive for Dartmouth must continue to raise the bar in all of its endeavors, be they athletic or academic. The Big Green finds itself at a critical juncture, and advances cannot be made without the support of the entire community. Being on the home court is hardly an advantage when the stands are vacant. Our teams deserve better.

We'll see you on Saturday.