Mulley '70 appointed director of Health Care Delivery Center

College Trustee Al Mulley '70 will head the Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science, College President Jim Yong Kim announced today. Mulley will become the new Center's first director on Nov. 15, according to the announcement.

Mulley currently serves as Chief of the General Medicine Division and Director of the Medical Practices Evaluation Center at Massachusetts General Hospital, and is an associate professor of medicine and health policy at Harvard Medical School. He has been a leader in "the science and application of shared decision making and other forms of collaborations between clinicians and patients," according to the release.

The Center whose creation was announced in May and is funded by a $35-million gift will offer health care-related classes to undergraduates and introduce a master's degree program through the Tuck School of Business. The Center will collaborate with on-campus groups and medical centers across the nation on health care research projects, Kim previously told The Dartmouth.

As the Center's first Director, Mulley will "shape the strategy and activities of the new Center," the announcement said.

Much of Mulley's previous work has focused on improving patient care, medical education and clinical research. He is the founder of the nonprofit Foundation of Informed Medical Decision Making, an organization "leading changes to ensure that health care decisions are made with the active participation of fully informed patients," according to the organization's website.

"Al Mulley is an extraordinary thinker and innovator whose work over three decades has changed our understanding of the role of patients as partners in their own care," Kim said in the press release. "As a physician, educator, influential author, and a visionary thought leader, he has the respect of colleagues from around the globe. We are incredibly fortunate that he has chosen to return to Dartmouth to direct this new center and new science."

Upon assuming the position, Mulley will step down from his position as trustee; he will also resign from Dartmouth Medical School's Board of Overseers and the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Board of Trustees.

In his capacity as a trustee a position he has held since 2004 Mulley headed the Presidential Search Committee that selected Kim to replace former College President James Wright.