Men's soccer prepares to play three consecutive away games

09.29.10.sports.MSoccer
09.29.10.sports.MSoccer

The Minutemen (1-3-3, 0-0 Atlantic 10) are coming off a tough 1-0 extra-time loss to the University of New Hampshire last Saturday. Though UMass's record does not seem overly impressive, each of its three losses was by just a single goal, and two were to nationally ranked foes. The Minutemen fell to then No. 10 Harvard University, 3-2, on Sept. 6 before suffering a 2-1 defeat to then No. 24 Indiana University on Sept. 19.

"We've seen them play twice," head coach Jeff Cook said. "They're a very well organized 4-4-2, and they've been very close in all their games."

Co-captain Daniel Keat '10 said he hopes the team can repeat its success from last spring.

"We played them back in the spring and won," Keat said. "But the main thing we're focusing is on how we play. If we turn up and play, hopefully we'll be able to take care of a result."

For the Big Green to be successful, it must shut down senior midfielder Ben Arikian, a two-time First Team All-Atlantic 10 selection, and a NSCAA First Team All-Region choice the past two years. Arikian has assisted four of the Minutemen's eight goals this season. As a freshman, he started for the UMass team that made the semi-finals of the College Cup in 2007.

"Arikian's workrate was absolutely phenomenal," Cook said. "He was out making tackles on defense and putting crosses in up front. He's got a fantastic winning mentality. He's someone you've got to watch constantly."

Junior defender Andrew Henshaw, a third team All-Region choice last year, is another player to watch for UMass.

Cook praised the Big Green's pressure against New Mexico, especially on the offensive end, and said that continuing to work hard up front will be a key as the team heads into the Ivy schedule this weekend.

Keat echoed his coach's comments adding that pushing the ball up the field was critical for the win.

"I think New Mexico was a huge step forward for us," Keat said.

Cook added that it will be important for Dartmouth to come out aggressively on the three-game road trip.

"When you're playing away from home if you play too conservative, you never quite get started," Cook said. "We'll try to build some of our play off our pressing."

Dartmouth's ability to finish up front is another area that will be crucial to the team's success in the upcoming games. In key home wins against New Mexico and the University of San Diego, the Big Green had several good chances, but it took a while for Dartmouth to make them count, as the winners were scored with under 10 minutes to go in each game.

Both Lucky Mkosana '12 and co-captain Andrew Olsen '11 have looked dangerous in front of goal this season, but for Dartmouth to contend this year, both players will need to take the final step and consistently finish their chances.

"I feel against New Mexico, in our transition play we looked dangerous, but we left a lot of chances on the table," Cook said. "What we've learned is that you have to be ruthless in front of goal. New Mexico had about two legitimate chances, whereas we had around 10. It's a very small margin of error when you play some of the top teams."

The Big Green will have to get used to playing top teams, as four of its remaining opponents currently rank in the NSCAA Top 25, including three Ivy opponents Harvard University, Brown University and the University of Pennsylvania.

Dartmouth will not return home to Burnham Field until Saturday, Oct. 9, when it will take on Ivy rival Yale University at 7:00 p.m.