VERBUM ULTIMUM: Campaign Dollars and Sense

The completion of the Capital Campaign ("Dartmouth completes $1.3 billion campaign," Jan. 8) signals that despite the recent recession, donors are still enthusiastically supporting the College. The name attached to the fundraising effort "Campaign for the Dartmouth Experience" expresses precisely why we believe donations have not ceased in this economic climate. Alumni, parents, students, faculty and staff understand that their investment will maintain the high standards of excellence at the College, and ensure that future generations will have as positive an experience as those that came before them.

As the capital campaign web site notes, "Dartmouth's constants include an outstanding education; dynamic, accessible faculty; and a scale that fosters common ground" outlining the College's commitment to undergraduate education. A 23 percent drop in the endowment requires the College to address the budget's shortcomings, but cuts must be made with the understanding that they have a cumulative effect greater than the sum of its parts, particularly surrounding academics.

On Dec. 8, the College took the first steps towards tentatively expanding class size by accepting 60 more students through Early Decision admissions than last year an increase of 15 percent ("With early decision admits, Dartmouth explores increasing class size," Dec. 9). Decreasing acceptance rates during the regular-decision process could negate this action, but College President Jim Yong Kim has said that increasing the size of the Class of 2014 is being considered and would produce a "budget positive" ("Kim outlines College budget, potential cuts," Dec. 2). While Kim noted that the decision to expand class size will not be made "without extensive discussion," the increase in the number of students on campus could coupled with fewer course offerings and a strained faculty result in less individual attention and undermine the commitment to a strong undergraduate focus ("In light of cuts, profs. stress faculty retention," Nov. 24). Additionally, budget cuts result in slower recruitment of faculty and could eventually lead to faculty layoffs, according to vice president and strategic advisor Steve Kadish, which would further exacerbate the issue.

It is Dartmouth's commitment to undergraduate education and community that has set it apart as "the College on the Hill," and brought it national acclaim ("College ranked 11th by U.S. News for second year in a row," Aug. 19). The $1.3 billion raised in the last seven years was donated to enhance the standards of academic excellence at the College. The administration is faced with tough decisions, and as Kim continues to forge ahead with the difficult task at hand, he must acknowledge the cumulative effects budget cuts will have on the Dartmouth classroom experience.