POINT: Legit Classes?

The sun is out but classes are in full swing as we finish week four of the best 10 weeks of our lives. This said, something's not right about the way sophomores are bombarded with lists of every adventure summer has to offer (read: every article written in The Compact Mirror), and then expected to keep up our Bridgewater-worthy GPA's. So, what's the best way to balance academic excellence with extracurricular awesomeness? Screw that Orgo lab, drop those 9L's and 3A's and TAKE EASY CLASSES.

July 2 was the last day to establish course loads, but when you're through reading this you may be dashing to McNutt and questioning how bad a "W" really looks on that transcript. To those who've already said screw tuition and are taking two classes, congratulations! You better be half way through "101 Things to Do Before Graduating from Dartmouth."

Before writing me off as a total slacker, let me explain. Dropping a class or taking ENGS 3 instead of ENGS 33 won't suddenly free up time to drive to Six Flags every day, but it allows time for the simpler things in (Dartmouth) life.

Maybe I'm just imagining scenes of Joey Potter in her Worthington days, but aside from chugging beers in the AD basement, nothing seems to embody a "college moment" more than reading War and Peace on the Green. Sure, I may be taking RUSS 36 as an easy LIT distrib, but I'm embracing the carefree sense I hoped to find this summer. Wherever you chose to embrace your "moment," enjoy it for all it's worth, because soon that nook outside Sanborn will be frozen over.

Now that academics have been handled, let's address the true reasoning behind fulfilling a SCI with ASTRO 2. At an enrollment of 158, you're bound to form a study group consisting of a best friend, ex-boyfriend you found over orientation and current hookup you found Wednesday night. And what better way to start a conversation than commiserating over your Keystone-fueled mistakes made just hours earlier.

For those of you not taking a 10A, I hereby notify you that you are required to maintain a steady MWF going out schedule. I was once a regular participant of Frong, defined as Friday pong beginning before 5 p.m. I propose the institution of Throng -- Thursday morning pong. Any takers? With Masters just around the corner, any time is game time. So drink up, hook up and read up -- but not too much, it's 08X.