Summer Dates 101: Beyond Boloco and the basement

Students take advantage of the weather to spend time on the Green.

Sure, a casual game of pong is all fine and dandy, and Ramunto's and a late night viewing of Fight Club can lead to incredibly stimulating conversation, but wouldn't it be nice to take advantage of Dartmouth in the summertime, and make it a date to remember?

One idea is to go retro, and take your sweetie to a good old-fashioned drive-in movie theater. There's nothing more swoon-worthy than cuddling in the front seat to "Ratatouille." Plus, going to the drive-in has the benefit of being an opportunity to subtly show off your pimpin' ride without having to say a word. The Meadows Drive-in Theater, located in Woodsville NH, is 35 miles from campus, admittedly a bit of a trek. But it's nothing a friendly game of 20 questions wouldn't make short work of.

If the summer movie selection of over-budgeted sequels doesn't suit your fancy, the outdoors holds plenty of dating opportunities. Borrow a pair of unlocked bikes parked in front of Novak and cross over to the Vermont side of the river. A scenic bike ride is sure to foster thoughts of affection as you show off your athletic prowess and toned physique, but make sure your date is into that sort of thing beforehand. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wears spandex at Dartmouth on a daily basis.

Try renting a canoe from Ledyard. The teamwork it takes to paddle creates an instant bond that doesn't require you're-a-Sagittarius-too small talk. If you're feeling particularly industrious, paddle over to Gilman Island, tether your boat and explore. After all this, get some major brownie points by going from the canoe club to the Canoe Club. Seal the deal by scoring a seat at one of the front tables by the window, so everyone can see what a first-rate person you are.

As long as your date doesn't mind an early start, go on a sunrise hike and bring along a picnic breakfast. When you reach the summit, bust out your gourmet offerings. Food is always more romantic when there's a really great view.

Along the same lines but without all the physical activity, try a picnic on the green. Get take-out or make a basket lunch or dinner, and spread a blanket out on the grass. For a more intimate setting, relocate to the BEMA. This is bound to elicit thoughts of the Dartmouth seven, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

Spend an afternoon berry picking together--there are pick-your-own farms in New London and Plainfield -- then bring back the fruits of your labor and make fresh strawberry shortcakes. If that sounds a bit too labor-intensive, pick up berries from the Norwich farmer's market and stop by the Co-op on the way home for a can of whipped cream and a pound cake. Unfortunately, though this halves both the time and messiness of the project, much of the allure dissipates as well.

If you find a clear night amidst the monsoons of late, take your date stargazing. Pick up a star guide from the Dartmouth Bookstore to brush up on your constellations, and find a dark, open area. (Since well-populated and well-lit spaces don't lend themselves to spotting stars, this date's venue does half the work for you.) Spread out a blanket and start searching for Vega, or at least the big dipper. As an alternative, check the observatory hours and go high-tech with the aid of the telescope.

Sometimes the simplest dates are the best, like stopping for ice cream. Ben and Jerry's has the benefit of being both in town and arguably the best ice cream available, but if you're in the mood for a bit of an adventure, check out Ice Cream Fore-U in West Leb. Embrace the tacky name -- the kitsch factor is only heightened by the shack-like faade and tented bench seating. The ice cream is inexpensive and delicious, and while you may not be able to get Cherry Garcia there, nothing says "I want to get to know you better" like a sundae the size of your face.

With an entire day on your hands, go explore one of the small towns that dot the area. Both Woodstock and Quechee are incredibly charming, and hold lots of window-shopping potential. Poke in and out of bookstores, check out knickknacks and blown glass, then stop for an iced coffee at an indie coffee-shop. If you manage to pick up a bottle of wine on your journey, stop at the Cabot factory store on your way back to campus, and sample cheese to your heart's content. Pick out your favorite to pair with the wine, and end the day with some low-key sophistication.

Dates don't have to be mundane, stuffy, or expensive. With a little ingenuity and a bit of help from the weather, the perfect Dartmouth date is within anyone's reach.