Mirror PicKs

Book: "Einstein Picasso: Space, Time, and the Beauty that Causes Havoc" by Arthur I. Miller

Is it merely coincidence that cubism and relativity, together defining modernity and renovating the arts and the sciences, appeared to the world within two years of one another? In his thoroughly readable book Einstein Picasso, Arthur I. Miller answers this question through the parallel biographies of the two lives that, above all others, shaped the last century. Miller boldly transcends academic boundaries, faring equally well as a historian of science and one of art. - Latif Nasser

Music: "Fishscale" by Ghostface Killah

Some advice for future summer interns: I'm pretty sure there's no better way to forget about your day job than listening (loudly) to Fishscale. The rhymes are everything that your life won't be. They're these bizarre, passionate stories that are always surprising and always effortless. Lyrics aside, the album that put Ghostface back on the map still offers about everything a listener could ask for. It's well-produced, and the beats are great. The funky old R&B samples don't hurt either... - Maggie Severns-O'Neill

Movie: "Empire Records" (1995)

My local record store just closed, so it's a little bittersweet to recommend this cult classic about an independent record store holding out against The Man. No store, however, was quite so cool or quite so well-staffed -- Liv Tyler, Renee Zellweger and Anthony LaPaglia fill just a few of the roles in the quirky yet endearing cast of characters. - Caitiln Kelly

TV: "The Sopranos," HBO Sundays 9 PM

The Sopranos is so superior in just about everything that it qualifies as a cinematic gem. For six seasons the blood-splattered and tear-soaked world of New Jersey mob boss Tony Soprano has captivated millions of viewers, brilliantly contextualizing the exotic idea of the mafia in a reality that somehow is familiar to everyday people. On April 8 the first of the final eight episodes airs, beginning the end of what is perhaps one of the best dramas in history. - Naomi Sosner