Mirror PicKs

Book: "Good poems," selected and introduced by Garrison Kiellor

In many an English class, the professor inevitably says that Dartmouth students don't read enough poetry. This collection of poems is the beginning of the antidote, and offers exactly what it says it does: good poems. And though it may seem a little Reader's Digest-y to read a collected jumble rather than intensely delving into one poet's oeuvre, Keillor's taste level in selecting the work for Good Poems prevents it from sinking into the banal depression of the likes of Chicken Soup for the Soul. - Amy Davis

Music: "Nightcat!," Eric Lindley

My first year here at Dartmouth I cherished listening to singer-songwriter Eric Lindley '05 playing in Lone Pine, playing on the roof of Panarchy, playing anywhere. He would play Neutral Milk Hotel covers but fumble the lyrics until the audience would start singing along. In January he released his first full length album. Some of the ten tracks are new, the rest old and familiar but newly recorded. Each song has Lindley's characteristic crispness and intimacy that makes you feel like he is still just sitting and strumming in Collis. - Latif Nasser

Movie: "Eight Femmes," directed by Francois Ozon (2002)

In a French movie that is part musical, part mystery, eight female characters are somehow involved in the sudden murder of Marcel, the owner of an impressive chateau. Each woman has a hidden story she wishes to keep secret, but the beans start spilling as they try to find the murderer in their presence, Agatha Christie-style. Colorful histories of adultery, debt problems and incest are intriguing and suspenseful, and the breaking-into-song routine is amusing without being cheesy. - Erin Choo

TV: "Gilmore Girls," Fox Tuesdays at 10 p.m.

Gilmore Girls is not the best show on television, but it is my favorite, and has been since its debut seven seasons ago. As Rory finishes up her last year at Yale and her mother Lorelai once again attempts to mend her romantic life, the thought that this might be the last season creeps to mind with every completed hour. It's true that with the change in writers this season the script isn't up to its normal snappy standards, and some might call the current season melodramatic, but unlike Grey's Anatomy, at least the show's title character wasn't almost drowned recently. - Amy Davis