Mirror PicKs

Book: "Secrets of the Tomb: Skull and Bones, the Ivy League and the Hidden Paths of Power" by Alexandra Robbins

Yale's Order of the Skull and Bones, the main focus of this book, is a secret society steeped in myth, tradition and ambiguity. The examination of this extensive web of power shows the unbelievable levels at which covert influences are at work in this country. It's fascinating to follow the paths to power and understand how meticulously they are constructed and protected. Even more fun is getting the perspective on just what an Ivy League education gives, at least in the eyes of those outside of the society's and university's fold. -Leslie Adkins

Music: "Dreamgirls" Original Soundtrack

The throaty vocals of Jennifer Hudson have been praised up and down for her show-stopping rendition of "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going", but my favorite songs on the album are her soulful ballad "One Night Only" and Eddie Murphy's "Patience", the musical's reflection of the Marvin Gaye classic "What's Going On". The mix of pop, soul and R&B drives the movie and makes for an enjoyable soundtrack, no matter your mood. - Leslie Adkins

Movie: "Bukowski: Born into This," directed by John Dullaghan (2002)

His name is Bukowski, and he is the most grotesque person who ever lived. His words were hard and hard-working, his face malformed and freakish and his liver pickled beyond the comprehension of modern science. Yet he is one of the most iconic and influential American writers. This documentary, like the man, it is plain and gruff. It smashes the caricature and presents us with what is buried in his marrow. Interviews include his wife (who he forcefully kicks about half a dozen times during a taped interview between the two of them) as well as superstars who he influenced, including Sean Penn and Tom Waits. - Latif Nasser

TV: "Supernanny," ABC Mondays at 9 p.m.

It's debatable whether Jo Frost's Union Jack umbrella and prim business suits are quaint or nauseating, but there is no doubt that everyone loves her for doing what many families can't: disciplining their out-of-control kids. The children's antics range from humorously mischievous to dangerously unrestrained, but it's always a pleasure to watch Supernanny come in and save the day. -- Leslie Adkins