Daily Debriefing

College Trustee T.J. Rodgers '70 was featured on the front page of Monday's Business section of The New York Times for his role in cutting-edge developments in solar power technology. SunPower, a subsidiary of Cypress Semiconductors, which Rodgers founded, uses six-inch square silicon wafers originally made as computer chips to produce photoelectric cells more efficiently. Rodgers purchased SunPower six years ago for $750,000. Since the advent of this technology, SunPower's stock has nearly doubled, bringing the company's total value to over $2 billion. Photovoltaic cells such as the one SunPower developed are not Rodgers' forte, however, and his company produces computer chips used in Apple's iPod and in high-end Mercedes-Benzes.

Michigan Democratic leaders formally asked the Democratic National Committee to allow the big industrial state to hold a presidential caucus between Iowa's first caucus and New Hampshire's leading primary for the 2008 elections. Democratic New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch and other state Democrats have complained that allowing another caucus before the New Hampshire primary would make the candidates spend less time in New Hampshire and likely overshadow the importance of the traditional first-in-the-nation primary.

In December, a DNC advisory commission recommended that the organization place one or two caucuses between the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary. New Hampshire Secretary of State William Gardner said that this move would trigger a state law requiring that the state's primary be held a week before any other "similar event."

"The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial," directed by Jerry Zaks '67, began previewing on Broadway last week and is currently scheduled to run through August. A revival of the 1954 play by the same name, "The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial" tells the story of a young lieutenant who is on trial for mutiny during World War II.

The play co-stars David Schwimmer of the television show "Friends" and two-time Tony award winner Zeljko Ivanek and premiered in Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre, the same theatre in which the 1954 version was performed.

Zaks, a four-time Tony award winner, is also known for his comedies "The House of Blue Leaves" and "Lend Me a Tenor."