Andreadis sweeps presidency

Tim Andreadis '07
Tim Andreadis '07

Of the 2,435 votes cast, Andreadis won 1,025 in the first round, a startling majority given his status as a write-in candidate and the fact that the past two Assembly elections have been narrowly decided. Current student body president Noah Riner '06 won by a 29-vote margin while Julia Hildreth '05 secured the presidency with a single vote two years ago.

Andreadis refused comment after being contacted by The Dartmouth.

Riner complimented Andreadis, but hesitated when commenting on his ability to assume the presidential post.

"I think he'll do a fine job," he said. "I don't know what he's about other than the sexual assault issue."

Andreadis' opponents, meanwhile, expressed confidence in his ability to lead after they got over the initial surprise of his win.

"I'm humbled, impressed and relieved," said Dave Zubricki '07. "I truly think that, after myself, Tim was the second-best candidate."

Zubricki admitted that students who claimed Andreadis ran a sensationalist campaign and capitalized on fear might be correct, but said that those tactics probably helped him get out the vote.

"There was certainly an element of that," he said, "But that's just politics. At the end of the day, all that matters is who wins."

Adam Patinkin '07 said that he was not entirely shocked by the election results after personally witnessing the level of backing Andreadis stirred.

"I'm definitely a little surprised," he said, "but having gone to almost every door on this campus [while campaigning], I know there was a lot of support for him."

Chrissie Chick '07 said that while she was surprised by Andreadis' win, in retrospect she said he did have a strong campaign.

"He rallied a lot of people who I think were otherwise uninterested in the Assembly," she said. "I think that's a good sign for his leadership next year. He'll be able to bring in some fresh blood, which I think is important."

Chick added that she plans to remain active on the Assembly next year.

"It will be exciting to see what [Andreadis] does," she said. "But I think it's important to retain people who have some stability and who know how the system works when you are trying to make big changes, as I think he will."

Zubricki also said he plans to participate on the Assembly next year, while Patinkin noted that "that's up to Tim."

Loeb said that she is excited to work with Andreadis.

"I'm impressed that he won as a write-in candidate," she said. "I definitely was surprised, but pleasantly surprised. I think we'll work well together."

Loeb added that she is relieved to be finished with the campaign season and that she anticipates a more dynamic Assembly next year.