Unique Jazz Artists Abound

Although I did not witness the Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra concert, I must take issue with Dylan Hume's assertion that "she is one of the few jazz composers today who creates a truly unique sound" ("Maria Schneider brings unique sound to the Hop," Jan. 23). While Schneider may be one of the rising stars of big band music, modern jazz currently offers more than a few composers whose sound is recognized immediately as original and innovative. Hume (and other students) would be wise to check out the recent releases of Benny Golson, Dave Holland, Joshua Redman, Brad Mehldau, Terence Blanchard, Kenny Garrett, and Eddie Palmieri before making a general statement regarding a music that can be misunderstood and underappreciated and that stands as a vital piece of American culture.

These are only a "few" artists who produce unique compositions and who also happen to possess startling talent as instrumentalists. The list of great living jazz composers is far larger than it appears, and most artists (unlike the list above) do not receive promotional support and distribution of larger record labels. If one is willing to look beneath the surface of awards shows and magazine polls, I urge him or her to visit the jazz clubs of Boston, New York, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. On any night of the week, you will find a jazz group hard at work forging new ground and keeping the music alive.