The Dangers of a Powerful Minority

In response to her op-ed ("The Other Side of the Story," Jan. 18), I must strongly disagree with Justine Simon '06's sentiments. While it is true that there is a large Muslim population that wants nothing but peace and security for their families, a powerful minority supports violent terrorist actions against civilians. When al-Jazeera, the most popular Arab news outlet, airs every last video of a foreign aid worker taken hostage by militant Islamists, the network is playing right into the hands of the terrorist agenda.

When Palestinian television airs a children's program that teaches impressionable Palestinian youths the song "When I Wander into Jerusalem, I Will Become a Suicide Bomber," there is an obvious societal shortcoming.

When Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has to glorify terrorist groups during his election campaign due to their immense popularity, it is clear there is a fundamental problem. On March 30, 2004, USA Today reported the comments of prominent Gaza psychologist Eyad al-Sarraj: "At the age of 12, children start to look for role models. In the States, you have celebrities and athletes. In our part of the world, it is the martyr." Militant Islamic ideology is the most significant threat to global security.

To justify or apologize on behalf of this ideology is irresponsible, as it unduly diminishes the dangers posed by radical Islamic groups and the need for the global community to protect itself.