Rush yields more than 'expected'

At the time of press, Gamma Delta Chi fraternity had 6 men sink their bids; Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, 5; Sigma Nu fraternity, 5; Phi Delta Alpha fraternity, 4; Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, 3; Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity, 2; Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity, 1; Psi Upsilon fraternity, 1; Chi Heorot fraternity, 1; and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, 1.

Theta Delta Chi may have one pledge this term, but will not hold deliberations until Wednesday evening, president Brad Heritage '06 said, because members of the house were unable to meet all together on Saturday night.

Bones Gate fraternity did not respond to The Dartmouth when asked how many bids were sunk.

Alpha Delta fraternity did not have any potential new members sink bids this term, but did offer one bid. The house expects about seven or eight new members during Spring term, president Griffin Gordon '06 said.

Interfraternity Council president Terry Cunningham '06 was pleased with the high number of prospective members who attended this year's winter rush.

"There was a great turnout for rush this year," he said. "We had more men attend rush this winter than we had expected."

The process was shorter than fall rush, which has two nights of mandatory attendance and a third optional night, because fewer students rush in the winter.

"Second and third nights of rush are often used as call-back nights, during which very few men attend new houses," IFC recruitment chair Lane Verlenden '06 said of the decision to have only one mandatory night of winter rush.

Fraternity rush is a formal event in which potential new members spend time at fraternities in order to meet the brothers at the houses they are considering joining. At the end of the first night, potential new members may "shakeout," shaking hands with the brothers of the fraternity in order to indicate strong interest in the house. The fraternities extend bids to the rushees of their choice at any point after rush, and new members can accept their bids as early as that evening.

A condensed version of women's rush is also taking place this week. The process, consisting of two rounds and a preference night, began on Friday evening and will conclude on Wednesday evening, when women can visit up to two houses before signing a preference card. On Thursday, sororities will extend bids and rushees will formally accept their bids that evening.

The only difference between winter sorority rush and fall sorority rush, besides the number of participants, is that the winter process occurs over six days as opposed to the 10 days of fall rush.