Preysman '04 wins Mitchell scholar.

"For the last several years, I've tried combining journalism with everything else I was doing," he said. "Now I'm getting a year to just work on my writing and reporting, and that's something I'm very excited about."

Preysman, a philosophy major with concentrations in government and French, led a busy life at Dartmmouth. He was a senior editor of the Dartmouth Undergraduate Journal of Law, president of the Dartmouth Mock Trial Society, and a War and Peace Fellow at the Dickey Center. He also co-directed the Outdoor Leadership Experience, a mentoring program for local middle school students.

In the spring of his junior year, Preysman interned for the San Francisco bureau of The New York Times, where he compiled research and contributed to the work of various reporters. The New York Times published two of Preysman's articles -- including one about the loopholes in the U.S. immigrant visa regime -- even though he was an intern.

Since graduating from Dartmouth, Preysman has been involved in a number of projects dealing with emerging democracies, particularly in the former Soviet Union.

After receiving a grant to work in the Republic of Georgia, Preysman began working with the International Crisis Group and the Georgian Foundation for Strategic and International Studies. Preysman has also worked with the ICG in Armenia and Azerbaijan, and conducted research of his own on care of the elderly in these areas. And, as if this were not enough, Preysman worked for the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, and conducted research on the role of justice in the international system.

Originally, Preysman hoped that his graduate studies would allow him to pursue a career as an investigative reporter focusing on different world crises and current issues in developing nations. While he is still leaning towards a career in journalism, Preysman's work with several law firms has led him to consider a future in law that could focus on class action work on behalf of foreign clients.

Launched in 1998, the Mitchell Scholarship recognizes superior records of academic excellence, leadership and public service. The Scholarship, which is named to honor the former U.S. Senator's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, is intended to connect the next generation of American leadership with Ireland.

The scholarship provides support for one year of graduate study in any discipline offered by any institution of higher learning in Ireland, including tuition, housing, international travel and a $12,000 living expenses stipend. The scholarship has become one of the most prestigious and competitive fellowship programs in the United States, with past recipients withdrawing from the Rhodes, Marshall and Fulbright competitions to pursue it.