Katrina Help discusses its winter break trip to Biloxi

The Katrina Help organization united with the Rockapellas Thursday night to share the experience of their winter break community service trip to Biloxi, Miss.

Biloxi, a coastal town an hour away from New Orleans, was hit by Hurricane Katrina devastatingly and unexpectedly in September. When a group of 35 students and nine faculty members traveled to the south, the destruction was still evident. Despite the harsh conditions for students, speakers said they believed to have participated in a positive experience overall.

Students said the most important aspect of the trip was meeting the people whose lives were affected by the storm.

"We were able to hear the most amazing stories from amazing people, from the mayor to the councilmen to just ordinary people," Teddy Mathias '09 said. Mathias created a documentary of the trip along with Chrissy Seib '06.

Deb Newburg '07 and Calvin Richardson '06 also had a lot of experience talking to people as they distributed jackets, laundry detergent, condoms and other requested goods to the people of Biloxi.

But beyond requisite supplies, Newburg noted that the students were able to provide emotional support for victims still angry about the tragedy.

"There's a lot of venting that still needs to be done," Newburg said of the gratitude people showed for a "fresh pair of ears."

While interacting with the victims of Katrina, the group provided many services including "de-molding" houses, working with middle-school students and throwing a Christmas party.

These tasks, while rewarding, became challenging at times, according to the speakers. The construction crew often delved into deserted houses to scourge them of the omnipresent mold.

"The smells stood out the most," Mary Beth Westerman '08 said. "Each one was sort of unique, from sulphur to sewage to rotten food."

The group also slept outside, like many of the residents of Biloxi are forced to do.

"It was so cold in the morning you'd rather pee in your sleeping bag than get out," Ryan Yuk '09 said.

Unlike the people of Biloxi, however, "we knew we could go home in two weeks, but these people have no home," Westerman said.

Even with the hardships, the group addressed the trip with fondness and encouraged other Dartmouth students to participate in the relief efforts.

"It was amazing to see how genuine and intimate Dartmouth people are, and it was an amazing introduction to southern life," Yuk said.

The group was lead by Nick Taranto '06 and worked in coordination with Hands On USA, a relief organization that was started in the aftermath of the tsunami in Thailand. Katrina Help, run by Natalya Shulga '07, hopes to organize another trip during spring break of this year.