Hurricane Katrina accents Fall term 2005

The 2005 fall term began with controversy and ended rather tamely. In between, however, the Dartmouth community experienced an eventful and busy quarter.

Although far from the devastation of New Orleans, the Dartmouth community mobilized to help the numerous victims of Hurricane Katrina. Dartmouth opened its doors to college students displaced by Katrina, allowing 32 students from Tulane University to enroll at Dartmouth for the Fall term.

In the first week of school students formed Katrina Help, a campus organization that directed relief efforts within the Dartmouth community and raised over four thousand dollars in aid. Katrina Help also organized a student and faculty service trip to Biloxi, Mississippi in December.

When students weren't helping those in need, they were rushing Dartmouth's various Greek houses. For the second year in a row, new member recruitment for Dartmouth's fraternities and sororities began three weeks into the fall term.

Mirroring the 2004 results, Dartmouth Greek houses experienced a large number of rushees. Sororities handed out 267 bids while fraternities also had a very successful term.

It was revealed during the term that the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority temporarily diverted funds raised for the Norris Cotton Cancer Center to pay house expenses.

The money, in the amount of $1,484.74, was raised during the sorority's annual breast cancer awareness walk. At the end of the term, due in part to a catering bill from their senior banquet, Kappa was forced to delay payment to Cancer Center in order to keep the house from going into the red. The Cancer Center eventually received the entire amount in October.

Homecoming was once again a successful weekend as alumni and students gathered to honor the college on the hill. Several students were apprehended at the bonfire for alcohol infractions, and four freshman were arrested for streaking the field during halftime of the football game.

The football team had another disappointing fall, finishing second-to-last in the Ivy League with a record of 2-8. However, impressive performances against Colgate and Ivy League champion Brown University indicate that Big Green football is on the rise.

The Men's Soccer team capped an excellent term with an unprecedented second consecutive Ivy League title before losing in the second round of the NCAA College Cup to St. Johns. The Women's soccer team also found success in the fall, winning a share of the Ivy League crown and earning a bid to the NCAA tournament.

The Rugby team had an impressive season, finishing second in the northeast region as well as qualifying for the national sweet sixteen.