Hood opens winter with a bang

If you hear Chinese techno music flowing from the Hood Museum this Friday, don't be alarmed. In fact, it might be worth your while to check it out.

In celebration of the new exhibit, "Same and Different Art: Art, Artists, and Cultural Space in Asia," the Hood Museum will hold a party for students this Friday from 8 until 10 p.m. Sticking with the Asian theme of the exhibition, a DJ will play Chinese techno music and Dartmouth's own Chinese Dance Troupe will perform. Admission is free and Chinese food will be served. Wine will be available for students of legal age.

The party is specifically designed for student enjoyment, as the Hood curators are attempting to bring more students into the museum this term. Before the party, Betti-Sue Hertz will deliver the exhibition's opening talk in Loew Auditorium. Hertz will begin her speech at 4:30 p.m., and a reception and preview of the exhibit will immediately follow upstairs in the Kim Gallery. Again, admission is free and all are welcome.

Officially opening this Saturday, the Hood's new exhibit features 20 artists from across Asia working in media ranging from painting to digital art. Overall incredibly beautiful and socially meaningful, the show will run until March 12.