HAUTE HUFFT

While it's only the first week of January, fashion magazines seem to think May flowers are about to bloom. Page after page display the hot new looks for Spring 2006: rolled shorts, Bermuda shorts, printed dresses, platform sandals, etc.

Apparently, fashion editors have not taken a vacation to New England any time in the recent past. It's the first week of January. A foot of snow just hit Hanover. They're talking beachwear when all we can do is layer up winter wear.

While the fashion-forward lads and lasses in warmer climates are able to jump ahead to spring shopping, the freezing fashionistas of Dartmouth must leave warm weather wardrobes quarantined in dreamland.

If we bring the warm weather thoughts out too soon, the frigid temps might scare them away. It's something like the groundhog seeing his shadow.

But fret not, my fair frozen friends. The beauty of the New Hampshire tundra is that it gives us creative license. We may be in a better style power position than the folks at Cond Nast, even though our daylight ends at 3 p.m. and we may not see grass or temperatures above zero for at least four more months.

They may choose to look forward to Spring and beyond, but by sheer necessity, we must deal with the unfortunate present: how to get to class without freezing to death -- and how to get there looking better than ever before.

Yes, it's time for New Year's Resolutions. And not just any resolutions, but Style Resolutions.

I have to admit, while I always take the time to write down the requisite resolutions -- finally lose that freshman fifteen, get more fit, be nice to everyone, be more decisive, etc. -- I've never written down the phrase "improve style." But there's a first for everything.

When the beginning of the year means a full-self makeover, it makes sense to update the wardrobe along with the attitude and physique.

So how does one go about resolving to improve style? By channeling our inner fashionista, of course.

Our style tells the story of who we are; and what we wear is the ultimate form of self-expression. Sometimes, in the world of celebrity obsession (and I am the first to admit my addiction to "Us Weekly"), we feel the need to embody the style of a celeb we idolize or to wear whatever trend magazines tell us is en vogue.

I've run the gamut when it comes to celebrities I've tried to emulate: Gisele, Jennifer Aniston, Sienna Miller, Kate Hudson, Gwyneth Paltrow. I use them as models for my own style development.

But is a celebrity's style -- or more aptly, a stylist's work for a celebrity -- really our style?

That thought aside, what eventually happens every term is that, while I begin with an idea of ideal style -- never wear the same outfit twice in a week, always try something different and quirky -- I end up finishing the term wearing the same sweat-suit combination which I have created and convinced myself is really quite stylish.

It has something to do with a lack of motivation ... and a growing pile of dirty laundry and shrinking closet of clean clothes.

A word to the wise: a sweat-suit, however much we may wish it to be -- especially when worn repetitively -- will never be the perfect look to exude our inner fashionista.

This is particularly pertinent during the frigid winter months at our beloved dear old Dartmouth. The colder it gets and the more snow that accumulates outside only perpetuate our problem of rejecting an opportunity to project a brilliant image of personal style in favor of as many layers of warm material as possible.

So, as we welcome 2006 and another winter term in Hanover, let's not allow the weather to bring us -- and our style -- down with its dropping temperatures.

Magazines may make us think starry-eyed thoughts of wedge sandals and bikini weather -- but, we have to accept the cold, icy and salt-infused reality: winter's here to stay for many more weeks than the groundhog's shadow might imply, and we have to make the best of it.

I resolve to wear the sweat-suit uniform less often, to do my laundry regularly and wear as many different outfits as possible that I feel express my inner fashionista. I may end up wearing the same jeans every day, but perhaps I can create a rotation of stylish tops and jewelry to change the look up. (I set my standards high. Really.) If I'm going to resolve to finally lose that freshman fifteen, become more fit, be more decisive and be nice to everyone, I had better dress myself for success.

So what's your New Year's Style Resolution? Maybe it's to wear more pink or to dress more like a rock star. Whatever it is, make sure you channel your inner fashionista -- even if that means a resolution to wear more sweat-suits.