Hop appoints new studio director

After months of thorough searching, the Hopkins Center announced a new shop director for the Claflin Jewelry Studio yesterday. Starting Sept. 19, Jeff Georgantes will start his tenure as special instructor in jewelry.

Georgantes is currently an instructor at College of the Redwoods, in Eureka, Calif., and at Monterey Peninsula College. He holds a Master of Fine Arts degree from Fullerton State University and a Master of Arts degree from Humboldt State University.

Tucked away between the unlikely assortment of classrooms, workshops and theaters within the Hopkins Center for the Arts, the Claflin Jewelry Studio is a popular haunt of both students and faculty. Despite the smaller number of students on campus for the Summer term, the studio is still frequented by the same percentage of students as any other term. Approximately 150 to 200 student and faculty users come to the shop every term, making a total of 700 to 800 visits to the shop between them.

Established in 1966, the jewelry studio, fondly know as the "j-shop" to the many who frequent it, is one of Dartmouth's three student craft workshops. The other two workshops are the Pottery Studio, located in Norwich, Vt., and the Woodworking Shop, located next to the jewelry studio in the basement of the Hop.

The charges involved in using the studio include a general shop fee of $10 per term for all three workshops and the cost of the materials, which tend to be less expensive than most students would assume. All three shops are well equipped and well staffed.

According to Jennifer Major, the current shop director, the j-shop is so well equipped that it rivals many professional studios. Shop users work on various projects including necklaces, rings, bracelets and boxes.

Last term one sophomore crafted an engagement ring out of white gold for his fiancee, after a number of practice rings cast in copper and silver.

Major became the shop director after Jiro Masuda, the director of the studio during the 2003-2004 school year, left suddenly for personal reasons. Major, who was Masuda's assistant director, then assumed the position for a year. She will continue on as the assistant director under Georgantes.

To fill the position of director, the Hop conducted interviews all throughout the Summer term. After submitting their resumes, six candidates where chosen to come to the jewelry studio and give demonstrations in front of Dartmouth faculty, staff and students.

One candidate crafted a pendant from silver, gold and asymmetrical cast and fabricated parts. Another did a workshop in gypsy settings while still another candidate demonstrated "mokume-gane," a process involving silver and other precious and non-precious metals for a layered effect.

Emily Serrell '07 said that she liked Georgantes' work as it was "very sculptural and based on personal history and experiences."

Like the other candidates, Georgantes also gave a demonstration earlier this term, which was attended by other TAs. "I'm glad they picked someone so talented and creative. I think he'll do a great job," Serrell said.

In his history of working with jewelry, Georgantes has taught sculpture and 3-D design as well as workshops stretching from "Jewelry Making for Absolute Beginners" to "Setting Out of the Box" as a Masters Symposium. He also currently serves as a technical consultant for a private tool-making company and has served as a juror for SNAG (Society of North American Goldsmiths), among many other accomplishments.

The TAs and the numerous users of the jewelry studio are looking forward to meeting Jeff Georgantes in the fall. In the meantime, the jewelry studio is open this Summer term through exams.

The studio's hours are Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., with evening hours Tuesday though Thursday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. New users are welcome.