'Invalid' marks last hurrah for '05 actors

If you've recently been to the Bentley Theater for a show, chances are that Andrew Dahl '05 was either acting, directing or both. Karisa Bruin '05 and Neel Tiruviluamala '05 were quite possibly on the cast list. Tommy Dickie '05 likely made his presence known. Loudly.

But soon, when you walk into the Bentley, not one of them will be found. After this Saturday, all four will sadly be done with their theater careers at Dartmouth.

Last Friday and Saturday, Dahl, Dickie and Tiruviluamala performed "The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged)" to sold-out audiences. The Dahl-directed play had one of the best Bentley turnouts in recent memory, leaving over 200 people moping outside the Bentley's doors without tickets over the course of both nights.

Bruin's senior project, "The Imaginary Invalid," will premiere this Thursday in the Moore Theater at 8 p.m. There will also be performances on Friday at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. The cost of admittance will be a mere dollar.

The exit of the Class of 2005 marks an exodus of sorts for the theater department. Usually, graduation would snatch away only a few majors. This year, a whopping ten seniors will be taking their talents elsewhere.

When asked how he felt about his last show being over, Dickie said, "There's certainly some relief after a show is done but it's also always met with some withdrawal, since that consistent part of your life, that channel for your passion, has now vanished. And now I'm scared I won't ever have that again."

Everyone involved expected a successful run of "Shakespeare," but they were nonetheless dumbfounded by the immense turnout. On Saturday, anyone who jumped in line after 7:20 p.m. -- for the 8 p.m. curtain -- was turned away.

"We knew it was going to be popular, due to how devastatingly attractive the three of us are, but the actual turnout was a little insane. I don't think the Bentley Theater has seen that sort of turnout in a long time," said Dahl.

This weekend's "Invalid" has a larger -- and more oddly arranged -- number of seats to fill. The Moore Theater has been set up so that the audience and actors sit and perform both onstage and in the regular seating area. Even the backstage area is integrated into the surrealist set.

"Shows in intimate settings, like black-box theaters or the way the Moore is configured now, create much more engaging theater," said Bud Simis '08, who plays both Bonnefoi and Dr. Purgon in the show. "The smaller audiences and proximity to the stage make it almost a communal event. There's a sense of, 'we're all in this together.' I'm really excited to be able to perform on this stage."

Adapted by James Magruder from Moliere's original 1673 script, Bruin's production is a farcical, character-based comedy with contemporary flair. It's Bruin's second directing experience at Dartmouth after last spring's "Tenpinhighway," and the show called for weeks of rehearsals so that the actors could grasp the challenging postmodern script and the dialogue's unconventional tone. Choreographed song-and-dance sequences also required extensive cooperation between cast members.

"I don't think I could have asked for a better culmination of my theater experience here at Dartmouth. I'm really looking forward to this last bit of rehearsal process and opening night, because now it gets really exciting," said Bruin.

Yet, however exciting these last weeks may be, the seniors said they realize that their time left at Dartmouth is dwindling. Looking back, all remember ed their time here with fondness.

"Our friendships allowed us to make each project a glowing journey and destination. We knew each other well enough to play off of each other, challenge each other and push each other to explore, refine and activate. It was a four-year process I will always cherish," said Dickie.

"I've made amazing, enduring collaborative bonds with some of the actors, directors and writers here. Hopefully, I'll be able to carry a bunch of those relationships into my professional life," said Dahl.

He added, "It was also a real highlight for me [in 'Shakespeare'] to kick Tommy Dickie in the balls."