Bizarre Xiu Xiu to rock FNR, even if you can't pronounce their name

"Zu Zu? Choo Choo? Z-you Z-you? What the hell?"

Andy Sandoval '06 tried to tell someone about Friday Night Rock's first show tomorrow, but well, he couldn't pronounce the band's name.

"It's pronounced 'shoe shoe,' like your sneakers," interjects FNR member Brendon Bouzard '06.

Then, he scratches the back of his head and says, "You should come. Truth is, we have no idea what they're going to do onstage."

Xiu Xiu will perform, putting emphasis on the word "perform," at Fuel Rock Club this Friday night at 10:30 p.m. Eric Lindley '05 will warm up the crowd beforehand with his acoustic folk stylings.

Weird, loud and off-the-wall, Xiu Xiu is known as much for their melodramatic performances as they are for their innovative music. In particular, frontman Jamie Stewart loves to engage in over-the-top vocal theatrics, complete with often indiscernible voiced noises.

In explaining the band's appeal, rock aficionado Becca Sacks '08 says, "There is this jagged quality that threatens the surface of Xiu Xiu's songs. All this raw emotion is barely contained to begin with and then Jamie Stewart lets out these haunting cries that just tear right through it all. I guess that's why I'm genuinely ecstatic about this show, but a little nervous as well. It will be incredible to see how Xiu Xiu's strange balancing act plays onstage."

The band is difficult to classify, often using gongs, bells and even pots and pans as percussion instruments. They refer to modern classical and gamelan music as strong influences, but their songs are filled with electronic undertones as well.

When trying to describe Xiu Xiu's sound, Bouzard offered, "They're in a class by themselves. It's beautiful and terrifying, and it's got this wacky melodramatic sensibility to it."

"Yeah, about as wacky as watching a chainsaw rip through your mother's face," adds Sandoval.

Xiu Xiu will occasionally adopt other musicians for a short time, but only core members Stewart and Caralee McElroy will be performing tomorrow night. As anyone who saw the Wrens last term would know, FNR tends to bring out the rawness in its performers, and Xiu Xiu will be no exception.

The initially obscure Xiu Xiu has become far more accessible since their formation in 2000. "Knife Blow" was their first album, but it was their follow-up efforts "A Promise" and "Fabulous Muscles" that garnered the band a larger following. In fact, "Fabulous Muscles" -- which includes their most listener-friendly songs -- was indie rock website hipinion.com's number one album of 2004.

Some of Xiu Xiu's most loved singles include "Clowne Towne," "Crank Heart" and "I Luv the Valley, OH!" Each song contains a distinct musical style that demonstrates the band's volatility. "Valley" is based on the alternative rock genre, "Heart" is more heavily rooted in techno, and "Towne" falls somewhere in between, all with enjoyable results.

Also, covers of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" and The Smiths' "Asleep" have provided a more recognizable avenue for newer listeners to become familiar with their style.

Each term, FNR aims for one light-hearted, mainstream-bound band -- such as last term's Mates of State -- and one lesser-known, more innovative group. Xiu Xiu clearly belongs to the latter category while Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, scheduled for May 13, belong to the former.

"Xiu Xiu is at the forefront of experimenting with new styles. Artistically, they're very important, making this a good move for Friday Night Rock," says FNR booking manager Don Stewart '06.

Strange explanations of their sound aside, Xiu Xiu isn't enjoyable to everyone, as they are very experimental and unpredictable. Certain songs are much easier on the ears than others, whether or not one cherishes their artistic quality.

"I'd rather listen to a dying fetus, and I'm not even kidding," said one listener, who asked to remain anonymous. "I guess I just don't appreciate that kind of artsy crap."

Indeed, enjoying Xiu Xiu's music requires an open mind and an appreciation for blatant oddness and experimental originality. Some might be turned off, but the band's performance should feed the curiosity of many other music fans. As Bouzard says, "Xiu Xiu really does stand apart. Tell people to come, because at the very least, I swear you'll be entertained."