B-ball looks to continue impressive Ivy performances

Big Green women's basketball is certainly satisfying preseason expectations. The team remains undefeated in the Ivy League after two comfortable wins last weekend and will go into a pair of league games this weekend with a perfect 3-0 record in the Ivy League.

Ashley Taylor '07 said the team is definitely up for the task.

"Our coaches have prepared us well for this weekend," she said. "We just have to show up with the intensity and the desire to win."

Dartmouth will travel to Princeton, N.J., to confront the Tigers on Friday evening. Princeton (9-7, 1-2 Ivy) is ranked sixth in the league after being picked seventh in the Ivy League Media preseason poll. Since last Friday, Princeton fell to Penn in double overtime, dropped a 63-62 decision to Brown, and soared over the Yale Bulldogs.

The Tigers have been inconsistent this year after vowing to improve on their 2003-2004 record. However, the Big Green will need to be watchful of Princeton freshman Meagan Cowher. Cowher is the Tigers' leading scorer and has been named Ivy League Rookie of the Week four times.

Dartmouth fell to Princeton at their last collision on March 6, 2004 in a 66-58 defeat. The loss ended the Big Green's seven-game winning streak against the Tigers. Dartmouth, however, still leads the all-time series 34-17.

The Big Green, in preparation for this weekend's games, studied their opponents on film.

"We watched a lot of film on both teams," said freshman standout Sydney Scott. "We studied their tendencies and what to expect from them on offense and defense. We just have to play our style of basketball and put together two complete halves.

After the face-off with Princeton, Dartmouth will travel to Penn on Saturday to challenge the Quakers (10-6, 3-0 Ivy), last year's Ivy League champions, in the legendary Palestra. Penn is currently tied with Dartmouth in the league for first place after recently breezing over Yale, Brown, and Princeton.

"Playing on the road in Ivies is tough," said Jeannie Cullen '06. "But, if we play the way we are capable, we will win."

Although the Big Green retain the lead in the series record 31-20, Dartmouth hasn't defeated the Quakers since Feb. 25, 2000. The Big Green looks to end the Quakers' eight-game streak on Saturday evening.

"This weekend is make or break," Elise Morrison '07 said. "Both of these teams are very good, but if we can come out and play our game it should be two sweet victories."

After succumbing to several formidable opponents in the tough non-conference schedule, the Big Green is hungry for more wins. "Penn and Princeton are going to be tough competition," said Scott, who was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week earlier this week. "But we won't be satisfied unless we come home 5-0 in conference play."

"Penn and Princeton are strong teams," Taylor added. "It is going to be a very tough two games. We just have to play basketball like we know how and we will be fine."

In preparation for this weekend's contests, Big Green head coach Christina Wielgus invited male basketball players to join the Lady Greens in practice, which Morrison said "was a great challenge and preparation for this weekend."

The Big Green has the potential to win the Ivy League title this year, but their trouble with playing a full 40-minute game may obstruct the way to their goal. However, Dartmouth remains optimistic in their abilities.

"The coaches have really prepared us for the upcoming games," Scott said. "We know what to expect from these teams and what we need to win."

While Big Green optimism may boost team confidence and overall performance this weekend, Princeton and Penn, like Dartmouth, are two teams that play well in their home courts.

"Back to back on the road is always tough," Coach Wielgus said. "These are good teams that play great at home.This is going to be a battle royal."