Angie Hind named new head coach of women's soccer team

A new era in Big Green women's soccer began Monday with the official selection of Angie Hind as head coach. Hind, an assistant at Dartmouth for the past two seasons, replaces Ben Landis, who opted for a coaching position at his alma mater, Bucknell University, in mid-January.

The Lady Green followed a brilliant 2003 effort, one in which the team reached the NCAA Tournament and won an outright Ivy League title for the first time since 1998, with a mediocre 7-6-4 (2-3-2 Ivy) finish in 2004. The team's failure to reach the NCAA Tournament, something the Big Green had done every season since 2000, may have provoked Landis' early departure. He leaves with a 16-12-6 career mark as head coach at Dartmouth.

Landis expressed enthusiasm for Hind's appointment, saying, "Angie is a dear friend of mine, and I'm very happy to see that she was offered and has accepted the head coaching position. It is now her program, and I wish her and all the players the very best."

When asked to remark on the future of Dartmouth's squad, Landis refused to comment, citing a conflict of interest.

Josie Harper, director of athletics, expressed excitement for Hind's appointment.

"She's done a superb job here for two years, doing a lot of the Xs and Os and technique work with the kids," Harper said. "All the people that spoke to her were impressed with her enthusiasm, her vision for the program, her being able to articulate exact things she wanted to do."

Hind, who hails from Kilmarnock, Scotland, came to Hanover in 2003 after a five-year stint playing in the Scottish Football Association. Her extensive playing career is highlighted by the three years during which she represented the Scottish women's national team between 1999 and 2002. Hind said she is psyched about the new opportunity.

"I am very excited about being named head coach of the Dartmouth women's soccer program," she said. "This institution is simply amazing. The sense of community spirit and belonging to something unique and special was apparent from the minute I arrived here."

Hind adopts a team on the rebound, fresh off the loss of seven seniors and a previous season that did not meet the program's lofty expectations.

"Recruiting will be a huge contributing factor," Hind said. "I am determined to try and bring some of the very best soccer players to Dartmouth. This place sells itself with regard to its reputation for education. I want to develop a similar reputation in soccer. Clearly that will only come through results on the field, but I firmly believe this program can achieve so much more."

Hind's players are optimistic for future of their team.

"Angie brings excellent team tactics to a well-meshed group and I have the utmost confidence her guidance will continue to make our team competitive in the Ivy League and in the NCAA tournament," said Christina Ferraris '06. "Angie's enthusiasm and commitment to soccer adds a different feel for the game, a motivation which captures my attention to learn all I can from her and play harder for my teammates."

Both the team and Hind played down the potential hurdles that arise with any coaching transition.

"There isn't going to be as rough a transition as opposed to having someone completely new taking over the team," said Sarah Johnson '07, the team's leading scorer. "She knows how to motivate us and that is going to be a hugely important factor heading into next season after a tough fall. Angie has very focused goals in mind for this team, and I know she will do whatever she can to help us get back to where we were in 2003 when we won the league."

Hind said she considers getting a staff in place to be her most immediate objective.

"In the short term, I want to be at least challenging for the Ivy League and definitely be involved in post-season play," Hind said. "Last season was very disappointing for us; it hurt the players, but I feel this will only strengthen our resolve for next year. In the long term, I want to see us a nationally ranked program, consistent in our achievements and able to compete on a regular basis with some of the 'big guns.'"

"The only difficulties that lie ahead," continued Johnson, "are the ones we have been dealing with the past two seasons, and that is trying to understand her Scottish accent!"