Dartmouth grad competes against international kayaking elite

Kristen Podolak '01 is currently representing the United States at the World Freestyle Kayak Championships in Penrith, Australia.

During the competition, the world's best kayakers attempt to perform the biggest, most impressive, and most consistent tricks in their boats on a hydraulic at a whitewater park.

Freestyle differs from the Olympic slalom event in that boats are much shorter and the focus is placed on the kayaker's ability to master skills like 360-degree "cartwheels" and moves that launch body and boat into the air with a clean landing.

Podolak first learned to kayak on her freshman DOC Trip in 1997. While studying geography and biology, the Colorado native paddled throughout her Dartmouth career with the Ledyard Canoe Club.

After graduation, Podolak moved to Washington, D.C., where she still works for National Geographic and is able to boat year-round.

Podolak was also a member of the Dartmouth women's swim team and still holds school records in the 50 freesyle and 200 freestyle relay.

"I started paddling my freshman year of college in New Hampshire, about six years ago," Podolak said. "Dartmouth had a really good student kayak club. I stopped swimming and started kayaking."

At the U.S. Freestyle Team Trials in Watertown, N.Y., in August 2004, Podolak won the top spot on the women's team as a relative unknown in the competitive freestyle circuit.

After winning the competition, Podolak called the Ledyard clubhouse to relay her good news, much to the confusion of the '07 who answered the phone. But, while most current Ledyard members didn't know her personally, Podolak is a legend and an inspiration to Dartmouth kayakers, especially women.

"My freshman year I found that she [Polok] was the most confident and competent girl I'd ever boated with. And that was before she got really good," said Laura Jorgensen '05.

The five-day World Freestyle Kayak Championships began Jan. 26.