Cavaliers defeat Lady Green 83-70

In the last non-conference game of the season on Sunday afternoon, Big Green women's basketball succumbed to the Virginia Cavaliers (14-5) in a disappointing 83-70 match at University Hall before a lively crowd of 2,090.

The two teams played a close first half as the score was tied four times in the first four minutes. While Virginia held a slim lead throughout the first half, Dartmouth was never too far behind. Junior Jeannie Cullen's three-pointer with 3:19 left in the half narrowed the gap to 38-35. At halftime, the Big Green trailed the Cavaliers 37-42.

In the second half, Dartmouth couldn't get within five points of Virginia's lead. The Caveliers increased the lead to double figures just 3:39 minutes into the half. The Big Green shot 37.9 percent in the half while Virginia converted 48.4 percent of its attempts.

Cullen contributed 21 points and went 5-9 on three-point shots. Cullen tallied an impressive 67 points in the last three games and scored in the double figures in the past six games.

Teammate and two-time Ivy League women's basketball player of the week Elise Morrison '07 scored 27 points for the Big Green, including 17 points in the first half, and completed 11 of 19 field goal attempts.

Morrison's remarkable performance garnered praises from coaches. "She is an excellent player. I was very impressed with her," Cavaliers head coach Debbie Ryan said. "She was awesome and very hard to stop."

"The team had a remarkable performance against a very good ACC team," Big Green head coach Chris Wielgus said. "Despite their enormous full-court pressure, we only had two turnovers in the first half."

"It was a great team effort," Wielgus added. "Elise Morrison was a force inside. Our guards handled their pressure very well and when they collapsed on Elise, Jeannie hit the open shot."

Jocelyn Logan-Friend led four Caveliers in double figures with a career-high 24 points. Brenna McGuire contributed 12 more points while Brandi Teamer and Siedah Williams added 11 points each to seal the win.

Overall, Dartmouth converted 45.5 percent of all field goal attempts and 92.9 in free throws. Caveliers connected 46.9 percent of field goals and shot 93.8 percent from the free throw line.

At 5-8 on the season, the Big Green's record does not accurately reflect the talent within the squad.

"We play a very tough schedule and we are learning from these experiences as we were very poised under pressure," Wielgus said.

The Big Green will resume Ivy play this weekend, hosting rivals Columbia and Cornell on Friday and Saturday, respectively. The Columbia Lions have not defeated Dartmouth since Feb. 9, 2002. The Big Green leads the all-time series 35-6 and looks to improve the winning-streak to six games on Friday.