Green softball thumps Central Connecticut twice

Dartmouth women's softball (5-10) swept Central Connecticut (4-20) in a double header earlier this week. Dartmouth had two great offensive outings, winning the first game 7-3 and the nightcap 11-3.

In game one, the Blue Devils were the first to score. They plated one run in the second and fourth innings. They would go on to score only one more run in the remainder of the game.

Dartmouth's offense, on the other hand, was active throughout the entire game. Their first runs, however, did not come until the fourth inning.

Adrienne Draper '04 started the inning by reaching base on an error. She then advanced to second on another error made on sophomore Alicia Petryk's hit. Jodee Thompson '05 then singled to left field, which allowed Draper to score and Petryk to advance to third. Petryk later scored on a sacrifice fly. By the end of the fourth, the score was tied at 2-2.

The Big Green broke the game wide open in the top of the seventh where they scored five runs, more than enough to take the victory.

The inning started with Jess Reiten '06 reaching base on yet another Connecticut error. Kerry Conway '05 singled, advancing Reiten to second base. A sacrifice bunt then advanced both runners. Another CCSU error allowed Draper to reach base sending Conway to third with Reiten coming around to score. A stolen base by Draper allowed Conway to score on the throw.

Then, with two outs, Thompson hit her second home run of the season to right field, scoring two more.

Petryk and Thompson both hit double hits in the game. Thompson added three RBI's as well. Draper also had an outstanding offensive game for the Big Green.

Brittany Copenhaver '04 started on the mound for Dartmouth. She pitched just over five innings, giving up seven hits and only three runs. Danica Giugliano '04 came on in relief during the sixth inning and received the win, improving her record to 2-4.

In the nightcap, Dartmouth had 11 runs and 13 hits, while they held their opponents to just three runs and six hits.

Dartmouth's offense first struck in the top of the second. Petryk started off the inning hit by a pitch. During that inning, the Big Green was able to score three runs on three more Connecticut errors.

The Big Green would score again in the top of the third inning. Reiten came home on a single by Thompson. By the end of the third the score was 4-1. Although Dartmouth would have all the runs it needed to secure a victory, they still scattered seven more runs over the course of the game.

In the fifth and sixth innings, Dartmouth scored another three runs combined, giving them a 7-2 lead at the end of the sixth inning.

The highest scoring inning was still to come in the top of the seventh. With one out, Ashley Thorfinnson '07 singled through the left side. Kelly Fry '07 singled and advanced Thorfinnson to second. Lacey Neahr '06 loaded the bases and Ashley Williams '07 next reached on a fielder's choice while Thorfinnson was out at home.

Conway then doubled to left field, scoring Williams and Neahr. Reiten continued her offensive effort, singling up the middle plating two more.

Reiten was 3-4 in the game with three RBIs and two runs. Thorfinnson also had a great offensive game, going 3-3 and plating one run.

Karin Edwardson '05 pitched a complete game and recorded her first win, improving her record to 1-3. She struck out an impressive nine batters.

"I am so proud of the team," Reiten said. "We brought our A game to the field and it showed. Every member of the squad helped to record a win in each of these games. We have the skills and the determination to win, and I am confident that our Ivy season will reflect that."

Dartmouth will start its Ivy season at home this weekend against Princeton Friday and Penn Saturday. Both games start at 11 a.m.